Kiev II vs Contax II

This article, which used to be on the Camera Quest website, is one of the best histories of the Kiev RF cameras. Reading it will tell you why, but the short answer is that (in the authors opinion) the older the Kiev, the better the build quality - with the best examples being pre-54, when they still had the German Zeiss technicians on hand, and production was kept at low volume. The cameras faced a steady slow decline in build quality thereafter.

Henry overhauled my Contax II and he did a marvelous job. It has worked without a problem for well over 10 years. It was expensive but I have never regretted having it done. I still use it regularly and have no problems with it. Shutter and rangefinder still work perfectly well. The only change I have made to mine was to glue a small rubber o-ring around the viewfinder eyepiece with rubber cement to protect my eyeglasses.

The only Kievs I have owned were Model 4 types, so probably not comparable to a Model 2. I have heard that they were very close to the Contax II. I did enjoy working with Kiev 4 models, particularly the one that was CLA'd by OKVintage cameras, but they did not work as smoothly as my Contax II so they were sold in one of my occasional "purges."

I did hold onto my Bessa R2C (it uses Zeiss Contax lenses) but I finally sold it last year as it was not getting much use. It was a good camera though, so worth it if all you want is to be able to use the Contax mount lenses.

I have in the past owned a Contax and a Kiev from Fedka at the same time. The Kiev from Fedka was probably the nicest FSU camera I have ever seen. Also, I have owned two FEDS from Fedka. All three performed flawlessly and did not need to be to be serviced. In my opinion, Fedka is well worth the extra money. That said I would take the Contax over any FSU camera everyday. If you can afford It, I would recommend buying from Fedka to have a camera to play with while you wait for a Contax. The Kiev can then be a back up and a user for shoots where the Contax might risk being stolen or damaged.
I have bought lenses from Fedka actually. The post to the UK is prohibitive but I see your point. They are usually reliable.

In Eastern Europe it is still quite easy to find a deacent Kiev 2 for a reasonable price. I paid for mine (from year 1955) 50€ (with nice J8) and then anothe 40€ for curtain repair and CLA.

In Eastern Europe it is still quite easy to find a deacent Kiev 2 for a reasonable price. I paid for mine (from year 1955) 50€ (with nice J8) and then anothe 40€ for curtain repair and CLA.
Let me know if you can find me a Kiev 5 for that kind of price :ROFLMAO:

Had one once... they're ... interesting :eek: cameras.

Back