Kodachrome 64

sherm

Well-known
Local time
7:50 PM
I will be heading off for vacation and wanted to try something different with my photos. I've never used K64 before, but when I look at old chromes they have such a warm and "vintage" look to them. I wanted to try and recreate this look with my holiday snaps.

My questions to the group are, eventhough K64 has been around for years, is the emulsion the same? When you look at pictures from the 50's they have a very different look than what K64 chromes do that were made say last month.

Secondly, what would a good lens be to shoot for this "old school" look? I thought about my 40/1.4 SC and a 50's era Leica 50mm?

Any and all thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.

Scott

Scott, the emulsion has almost certainly undergone change ("improvements") over time. One reason why old slides look different is that the dyes fade and colour shifts occur. I'd suggest that you use your normal equipment and see what the film does.

I bought 10 rolls when Adorama put the rolls that expire this month on sale, a few months back. I think they might still have them in stock.

It's a nice film, I've shot 7 of the rolls so far. It does have a bit of an old school feel, especially when projected with my old projector. The old Leica glass will help a lot too.

IMO, the current Kodachrome is great. K25 (and K-II before it) had a different look. Probably K25 was the best Kodachrome ever made (and the best colour film , IMO), but the sales volume was not there for it to continue.

I wouldn't hesitate with any lens. Certainly you will get different results with lenses of different eras, designs, etc. For me, it is worth throwing the best equipment possible at it.

And keep using it! I'm back with K64 again for all my snaps this spring/summer/fall, hoping to document the year in a way my kids will be able to show their kids.

Back