Kodak Retina Ia photos (San Antonio missions)

bellyface

Registered Nice Guy
Local time
3:30 AM
love this camera....

please tell me what you think...

315052082_342b42288b.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/ivanaguiar/sets/72157594407070318/

love that little camera.... I used the sunny 16 rule on them, range focus, 1/200 F16, F11... pretty much was a point n' shoot. people looking at me like I was crazy shootin with an old relic ;)

Love the lookof confusion from by standers...

Would be nice to have a later model, with coupled rangefinder, but for $5 I ain't complaining!

I really need to get to the mision trail, nice shot!

Todd

I've got a 1a as well. Really nice camera that I need to use more. I seem to recall that it does have a "point and shoot" setting? Set aperture and distance to some colored dots(orange, I think) on their respective scales and frame and shoot.
Very nice photos!
Rob

nope, mine seems to be missing an accessory shoe,,, i see the holes where it once was. But no, no fancy simple mode on it. It might be an earlier model. It's beyond basic.... one thing I dig about the retina is how small it is, and heavy! They never chimped on materials in the old days...

Yeah, the Alamo is also a mission... grew up there... never knew that! Very interesting place to snap some shots!

bellyface said:
nope, mine seems to be missing an accessory shoe,,, i see the holes where it once was. But no, no fancy simple mode on it. It might be an earlier model. It's beyond basic.... one thing I dig about the retina is how small it is, and heavy! They never chimped on materials in the old days...
I finally got out the manual for my Ia. And it's a not so fancy zone focus method that I was thinking of.
There is(on mine, anyway) a "small circle between 8 and 10 feet" and another one "near 25 feet" on the focus scale. the manual says to use these marks for near and distant subjects:
"NEAR SUBJECTS
Set the focusing scale to the small circle between 8 and 10 feet. Use lens aperture f/8. This gives a depth of field (zone of sharpness) from about 7 to 15 feet.
DISTANT SUBJECTS
Set the focusing scale to the small circle near 25 feet. Use lens aperture f/8. This gives a depth of filed (zone of sharpness) from about 12 feet to infinity. "
I use mine with "sunny 16" for metering and with the 400 speed film I typically use, setting the camera to hyperfocal at f/16--when the weather's nice and I'm outside--gives me DOF of about 5 feet to infinity.
Just loaded mine. Thanks for getting me to think about this camera again!
Rob

well as soon as spring rears it's sunny bum to us, I'm certain to be out there shooting with the retina...

thanks for the comments guys. Maybe I'll go color next time, truly depending on the subject matter of course...

Back