Kodak's Digital Disaster

The M9 and M Monochrom are the last of the line using Kodak CCD's.

It was nice to be able to call up Kodak and talk with the engineers that designed the CCD's and worked on these cameras. When the DCS200 came out, I talked them into an IR version of it. When the M9 came out, called them up and asked for a Monochrome version of it. The engineer laughed and we talked about the 760m, and that they had tried to talk Leica into a monochrome version of the M8. They told me they would bring it up again.

You are reminding me of the old Sunday evening TV show, "You Are There."

It had to be wonderful to talk with the folks at Kodak. They had a great reputation which they had earned. It was a great place to work. They made great film and paper, and chemicals. They were the business. And then they watched it walk away from them. They could have forged a mighty alliance with Leica.

As you know I like my M8.2 and M9 very much and use the M9 almost 100%. And I like the Pixii in what I have read of it, seen of it on YT and the photos on FB and Flickr. I like the concept and believe with my pea bran that Linux computers with lenses strapped to them are the future. There is a reason we no longer have points in our cars and fuel delivery is with computer controlled fuel injection: it's better. And I believe that it is now a contest between the camera's image and the image's camera. Do you want accuracy or luxury? Yes, the M11 is reputed to be pretty snazzy. Its images are great. But unless the RF part of cameras heads in an entirely different direction than the rest of the world, mechanicals will soon be an anachronism. The RF itself may always have to be mechanical, but you know those software engineers are a crafty lot. Pixii is disruptive. Let's see what gets stirred up.

How many brands don't have Sony sensors and EVFs by now?
At sometime something really new might happen. Like Tesla electrical only vs Toyota which stuck on hybrids.
And just like Tesla, Kodak could be good name to bring out from the dust.

Back