Konica LTM Konica 35/2 UC-Hexanon LTM

Konica M39 lenses
The ad says "Fit to 35mm Rangefinder camera (L mount)".

I seem to recall this is the same lens design as the M-Hexanon 35mm f2.0 I own, but far smaller in size. Basically my dream lens, but unjustifiable given I already own the M-Hexanon. If I didn't, I personally would have paid that price.

I saw that auction, too, while looking over some AR-mount stuff. It's the LTM version, near as I can tell. Stephen talks about it briefly on this page, and Dante Stella describes it, too.

As for the price...well, it's probably pretty accurate. Dante says the original price was 114k yen, and that currently works out to about $1k. And the lens was made in a limited run of 1000.

Now, that's GAS.

Cheers,
--joe.

I sold one for about this price. Limited to 1000 units so I don't see the price going down. Yes, its a LTM lens and with an adapter can mount without problems to the M-series. Not too many black paint Leica lenses out there and this is a gorgeous looking lens on any camera. If you have a BP M-series or LTM it may be ideal.

Great Lens! Very compact and very well made. Optically its 'beautiful', very sharp and flare resistant. If you are looking for a high quality compact 35 for your M you couldn't do better.

I think it came into being because Konica just wanted to show what they could do.

In Japan they never needed to do that. Konica lenses were used by the Japanese Ministry of Industry as the reference benchmark by which the quality of all other manufacturers' lenses were judged. Some companies have an obsession with quality and Konica was one of them.

Hey, Peter - thanks for the pnet reference; I hadn't seen that. I'll add it to my bookmarks and my ever-growing bin of random photo information.

Now, if I could only afford that lens. Or learn to shoot 35mm correctly, for that matter...

Cheers,
--joe.

The serial number confirms the limited production: 0344/1000. Oiy.

This lens would fit on all of my RF bodies. Why did I swear off equipment purchases in 2007?

Bummer.

Just bought it. I've been looking for the 35 Hexanon M for a while, but this will do just fine.

peter_n said:
In Japan they never needed to do that. Konica lenses were used by the Japanese Ministry of Industry as the reference benchmark by which the quality of all other manufacturers' lenses were judged. Some companies have an obsession with quality and Konica was one of them.
I'd also offer that Konica was on something of a creative/engineering hot streak from about 1992 until their fateful "merger" with Minolta a few years back. Bringing out the "oddball" Hexar autofocus, making awfully-interesting LTM lenses, then bringing out the Hexar RF and a handful of great lenses to support it. It was practially a Golden Age for them.

- Barrett

Oh that link implies it's NOT the same as the M-Hexanon. Then again, who really knows. I wonder if there's a way to find out definitively.

Good thing Gid bought it. I have this urge to chase the 35UC, M-Hex 60mm 1.2, M-Hex 50mm 1.2 and M-Hex 21-35. Right now I'm an enthusiastic Konica user with all Konica lenses, but that would turn me into a (poor) Konica collector with an angry partner.

wintoid said:
Oh that link implies it's NOT the same as the M-Hexanon. Then again, who really knows. I wonder if there's a way to find out definitively.

Good thing Gid bought it. I have this urge to chase the 35UC, M-Hex 60mm 1.2, M-Hex 50mm 1.2 and M-Hex 21-35. Right now I'm an enthusiastic Konica user with all Konica lenses, but that would turn me into a (poor) Konica collector with an angry partner.

They have a 60 1.2 in LTM mount. Interesting FL - would make a 90 1.2 on the R-D1. Lots of £ though (maybe not compared to a Noctilux)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MATSUIYAST...QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ7349798QQftidZ2QQtZkm

wintoid said:
The ad says "Fit to 35mm Rangefinder camera (L mount)".

I seem to recall this is the same lens design as the M-Hexanon 35mm f2.0 I own, but far smaller in size. Basically my dream lens, but unjustifiable given I already own the M-Hexanon. If I didn't, I personally would have paid that price.

The UC-Hexanon 35/2 is a classic double-Gauss design, which is why it performs so similarly to the pre-ASPH Leica 35/2. In addition to the fact that it is a rare limited-edition lens, it is more expensive because it is made of brass instead of aluminum. The M-hexanon 35/2 is a completely different design:

http://www3.xitek.com/bingqiku/konica/rangefinder/m-konica-lens.htm

At least the third one for today is available now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Konica-UC-HEXAN...94749QQcategoryZ30039QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I bought the second one and I am elated. I was searching for 28 Hexanons this morning and I saw the first one had ended with "buy it now". I emailed Noriaki and he responded by alerting me to his second listing. I had a tracking number in half an hour. I had not seen this thread until now.
Those are sailboats melting into the sky behind the girl and cellphone picture in Dante's review! To me a brand new V4 Summicron only better. My dream lens too.

Gid have you received yours?

Jim

Last edited:
Update

Update

galavanter said:
At least the third one for today is available now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Konica-UC-HEXAN...94749QQcategoryZ30039QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I bought the second one and I am elated. I was searching for 28 Hexanons this morning and I saw the first one had ended with "buy it now". I emailed Noriaki and he responded by alerting me to his second listing. I had a tracking number in half an hour. I had not seen this thread until now.
Those are sailboats melting into the sky behind the girl and cellphone picture in Dante's review! To me a brand new V4 Summicron only better. My dream lens too.

Gid have you received yours?

Jim

Jim,

Apologies for missing the end of this thread.

Mine turned up on the Wednesday morning following my purchase - effectively 3 working days from Japan to the UK, which I think is amazing. The whole experience with the seller was excellent - great communication - and I recommend him to anyone.

The lens is superb in terms of fit and finish (gorgeous black lacquer) and reminds me very much of my (now gone) 35 F2 summicron IV in terms of handling. I've been trying it out on my new M8 (both arrived same day) and I am very pleased with the results. I've attached a couple of examples.

First at F2, second at F8 and third at F4 all with M8 and B+W 486 filter

Attachments

• -1000105-2.jpg
    -1000105-2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1
  • -1000127.jpg
    -1000127.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
  • _1000135.jpg
    _1000135.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
Back