Konica LTM Konica UC-Hexanon 35/2 lens focus issue

Konica M39 lenses

glycine

Local time
6:30 PM
I recently purchased a Konica UC-Hexanon 35/2 on RFF. I have had some issues with the focus on my M8. Below is the description of this issue.

At close-up distance, wide open (f/2) setting, the lens has obvious front focus. Front focus disappears and images are sharp when stopping down to f/2.8 and further.

At mid-range and infinity, wide open (f/2) focus is spot on and image is sharp. But when stopping down to f/4, the image becomes a bit softer (I believe it's a focus shift)

The rangefinder on my M8 works fine. My other 35mm lenses take sharp images on my M8 from close-up to infinity at any aperture.

I am wondering if the issue I have with this Konica UC-Hexanon is due to the design of this lens (which happens to all UC-Hexanon) or if the lens needs service.

Thank you

Yes, focus shift. The problem is that particular UC-Hexanon/M8 combo. You could ask DAG to correct it for a particular f/stop, but that is it.

Regards,
RLouzan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FS: Hand Made Leather Camera Straps

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2/limit/recent

Last edited:
Thanks RLouzan, does it mean that I can only have UC-Hexanon optimized for certain aperture setting and other apertures will be a bit off? Same as ZM 50/1.5?

Thanks,

Yes, focus shift. The problem is that particular UC-Hexanon/M8 combo. You could ask DAG to correct it for a particular f/stop, but that is is.

Regards,
RLouzan
FS: Hand Made Leather Camera Straps

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2/limit/recent

Hi,

I'm afraid so, but let's wait and see what other members think before reaching a conclusion.

Regards,
Robert

hmmm. I haven't done extensive testing like you describe. Mainly because I have never noticed an issue with the M8 and the UC hexanon.
I'm curious to see if anyone else has had issues.

The UC Hexanon doesn't have much focus shift. I think the problem is with the particular sample of LTM-M adaptor and your M8. If the camera focuses fine with other lenses, don't worry about it. Send the lens and adaptor to Focal Point or DAG and have the whole system, adaptor included, adjusted.

Marty

I actually have tried different ltm adapters (the adapter on the lens was Leica, I tried Voigtlander brand) and still had the same focus issue. So I guess it's not the adapter problem.

The UC Hexanon doesn't have much focus shift. I think the problem is with the particular sample of LTM-M adaptor and your M8. If the camera focuses fine with other lenses, don't worry about it. Send the lens and adaptor to Focal Point or DAG and have the whole system, adaptor included, adjusted.

Marty

You sure your lens wasnt dropped or damaged otherwise? This is a first time I hear about such issue regarding the UC-Hex. One I used to have came with the original Konica adapter, but I did try it with others and it worked just as well. Also - did you try the lens on other cameras?

I have never dropped it. I tested it on my M8 right after I received it. There is no apparent mark indicating it's ever dropped before.

I only used it on my M8. Maybe I should try it on a M9 some time next week if I can get one.

You sure your lens wasnt dropped or damaged otherwise? This is a first time I hear about such issue regarding the UC-Hex. One I used to have came with the original Konica adapter, but I did try it with others and it worked just as well. Also - did you try the lens on other cameras?

Back