L3 viewfinder magnification dial

doc68

Local time
5:29 PM
Sadly I noticed, that my daily carry Canon L3 has suddenly developed an issue.

The viewfinder magnification cannot be set to the RF setting.
(Even though this does not render it totally unusable - I only have some 50mm and one 35mm lens - it was nice when I had a large RF view for focusing. Yes, I am getting older and my eyes are not getting any better)
This happened out of the blue - I remember it working, then suddenly not. When turning the wheel, the pointer goes as far as you see it in the pictures, and then there is a "hard resistance". You can see the unfinished rotation in the viewfinder too. (see attachments)

I assume something has come loose in the top deck and is blocking movement now - even though shaking does not indicate anything rattling.
Any hints or documentation on how to remove the top cover? Anybody have something like this before?

I was wondering, if there were particular things to know before I try to get "under the hood" - like "which shutter speed needs to be set, before taking off the dial?" Does it actually have three set screws? Is there a particular order to them?
I am not too scared, but I really don't want to mess her up - other than the viewfinder, it works beautifully.

Thanks, doc.

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • viewfinder.jpg
    viewfinder.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
Probably an easy fix. Something came loose. Here's a pic from a VT repair manual which shows the viewfinder mechanism. The same viewfinder was used in an L3. This should help.

VT+viewfinder.jpg

Jim B.

Thanks Jim;

That doesn't look too bad - just need to find out, how to get to it.

Question: "Is the lid, where the L1 and L2 have the flash socket, screwed in? And does it hold the top cover in place?"

Thanks, doc.

Back