Large format and limited mobility?

Pfreddee

Well-known
Local time
10:56 AM
I was thinking of getting a field camera and all the trimmings, and pick up where I left off years ago. But I have limited mobility, and my balance is bad. Do any of you have this problem, and what have you found as a workaround? My wife thinks I should leave well enough alone, but I am still drawn to the camera. What are your thoughts? Thank you to all who reply.

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)

Perhaps a Horseman VH, a 6x9 format field camera? You get complete field camera movements, and with today's films, very little compromise from 4x5. In addition, you get the convenience of roll film backs. Though my mobility is not limited, my age makes any reduction in weight most welcome, and the VH makes for a very light, compact, and portable package. I love mine!

What ever you do, don't give up. I have the same problems and just went to the smaller mirrorless gear. The results are pretty darn good. I know digital is a bad word to some but if it gets you out and taking, it's a good thing.

If all depends on what you want, the neg size, what movements etc. I use a MPP and Linhof field cameras. East to carry by themselves with a grafmatic back with 6 sheets of Film ready to go.
If you just need shift movement, a pancake 4x5 camera like a Cambo wide or DS.would be easier to handle and lighter with no real setting up required. If you want lighter , as suggested a 6x9 field or technical camera. Technical.
If going digital , go the whole hog and get a decent camera phone, super light always with you and can edit your photos no need for a computer

Post note , I rarely use a tripod (and therefore rarely use f16/22). Try and find objects to rest the camera on or lean against to reduce any camera shake.

You can have great fun with a field camera in and around the house. Still lifes, growth on stones and fences, flowers, rocks, pets etc.

Not sure if you need a full complement of movements, but if not why not something like a Speed Graphic? You’d have the option of a focal plane or leaf shutter (though you’d likely want to use the leaf shutter), rangefinder, ability to use sheet film or roll film, plus they’re not a lot of money and are very portable.

Press camera with rangefinder. ISO 400 film. Frame by VF.
Handheld while sitting on four wheels pusher. Or on foldable chair.
Press camera fits into small bag over the shoulder and gives space for film holders and light meter.

I had graflex century graphic. It was great for no messing with tripod and annoying ground glass.

You might think about getting a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 crown graphic. Not quite as big and bulky only medium format but that size may work for you. Fuji made a really expensive 2 1/4 x 3 1/4-ish View camera. I’ve only seen pictures of it never seen it in a while.

some of the models of the crown graphic add a bit of tilt and all to them. There may also be a 3 x 4 view camera out there that could be lighter and adapt a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 roll film back to it.
What do you want to shoot with it?

B2 (;->

What is your budget? Do you use a Walker?

I don’t use a walker but thought about getting one and mounting a tripod column to one side with a pan tilt head. Some walkers have a seat you can use if you want to sit down and often under the seat is storage space where you can keep lenses, meter, dark cloth, magnifier, cable release and film holders. You can also mount a water bottle to it and if you need to sit down and relax a minute you can. You could even mount an umbrella on the other side to keep the sun off of you. A lot of walkers even have locking hand brakes as well.

Im going to suggest a nice 4x5 Wista, Ikeda, Calumet or similar wooden field camera with a trio of lenses like a 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon, Fujinon, Nikkor SW or Rodagon. Next I’d add either a 135mm or 150mm in one of the above brands. The third lens would either be a 180mm or 210mm in the above brands. With a nice wooden folding field camera you’ll have a nice setup.

If you really want to get into 4x5 I can't think of a better camera than an Intrepid for the price. As to lenses, I would begin with a 135 or 150 and go from there.

These days (especially) a 6x9 camera makes a lot of of sense. A Horseman 980/985 or VH/VHR with roll holders have all the movements you need. A miniature Crown Graphic weighs less and will work but has less movements.

The capabilities of a press type cameras with the exception of a Technika are so limited that you might as well shoot with a fixed lens medium format camera. A Crown or Speed Graphic will give you very limited rise and maybe drop the bed to one or two positions with a few degrees of back tilt on the front standard. Practically speaking it’s a very awkward and limited way to make photos. If you’re looking for movements a press type camera isn’t a very good choice.

Back