Last news on the Leica M8 from my SOLMS reliable source (and great friend !)

Ted Witcher said:
I see. The perjorative part, which I read often on this forum, is something I don't quite understand.

I don't think anybody objects to making intelligent use of the LCD. The pejorative part comes in when somebody gets so wrapped up in reviewing the pictures he has taken that he misses a good picture happening right in front of him!

Checking the LCD on occasion is a GREAT advantage. It has been a life saver for me on more than one occasion on my D2Xs. Looking at every image as you take it is not required. It does not need to disrupt the "flow". After looking at the first few images, you can ignor the LCD.

I am beginning to wonder of "some" Leica users will be able to adapt to the M8. Some of these digital features can be ignored but I guess some can not. Maybe the R8 is not for everyone.

JohanV said:
I have always believed that the term "Chimping " originated from the way a photographer looks when he is hunched forward looking at his little screen, body bent forward to block the sun to make it possible to see the pic.
I always assumed it was a reference to the infinite chimpanzees and typewriters eventually writing King Lear, ya learn something every day!!

When I used the DMR for a day, what I found most useful about the LCD was the ability to check the histogram to verify correct exposure. I didn't really look at the picture at all.

Mark Norton said:
The LCD monitor on the M8 will be extremely useful in telling you whether you've left the lens cap on...
I used to leave the cap on regularly with manual RFs, but never (so far) with the M7, because the meter doesn't work with it on. I guess this will also be the case with the M8, although I don't think I'll be able to justify buying one for a long, long time.

Sparrow said:
I always assumed it was a reference to the infinite chimpanzees and typewriters eventually writing King Lear, ya learn something every day!!
Me too! I thought it was something akin to "winging it". I tells ya, we ain't don't making no sense no more. ;)

Mark Norton said:
The LCD monitor on the M8 will be extremely useful in telling you whether you've left the lens cap on...
....and when you do, just check for hot pixels, before you delete....:cool:

Yes, the one I saw had a flat top plate. One of the reasons I was a little suspiscious of the recent photograph.

It's not going to break anyone's itty fingers to go up another 1/8 inch. Also, I'd presume that one of the settings on the control concentric with the shutter button was "OFF". No idea what the other three positions were, I didn't get to read it.

Luigi will have an interesting challenge making a case. The LCD bulge comes up rather high, so there's no place to connect the leather across the top of it without blocking the eyepeice. I suppose a clear flexible window could be inserted in the back, but that wouldn't be up to Luigi's standards of craftsmanship and durability. Only other way I could think of would be to embed a steel shank in the leather across the bottom and up each side. (I have a lovely Luigi case for my Canon 7s, bought second-hand here.)

Chimping is done by virtually everyone who uses digital; if you go to a professional tennis or golf match, you'll see the pros constantly chimping, although they've now been made so sensitive to it, they usually don't make the chimp sounds any more ("OO ooo, ah ah, oo oo.") A histogram will tell you instantly where your exposure was; and, in addition, most cameras have an over-exposure function, which flashes washed-out highlights, and that's also pretty useful, especially around water; it'll also tell you whether you over-exposed a slice of face, or how washed out the background sky will be. One of the reasons I am so interested in the M8 is because I can get rangefinder action with some of the conveniences of my D2x. I don't really give a **** if I look or sound like a chimp, or if I'm judged to be less than pure, if the photo's exposure is right on.

One of the things that's going to happen here, where most people are film users, is that new M8 users are going to be convinced that their camera is busted or out of adjustment, because they won't be used to digital. For example, there is a general feeling with a camera like the D2x that you cannot hand-hold at shutter speeds as slow as you can, say with an F5. Something to do with the size of the pixels vs. grain on film; I don't quite understand it, but have experienced the problem. I think. There's an interesting learning curve coming for some people, and it's going to be frustrating. My personal biggest hope (and concern) right now is that Adobe adapt Lightroom for the Leica shots as quickly as possible. ..

JC

M8

M8

The M5 was a technological tour de force in its day. The meter was accurate, the camera felt good in the hand, handled well and it was a workhorse. It was rejected for its looks, not its ability, though personally, I feel it is the best looking of all the Ms.

If some of you reject the M8 for its looks, then you are missing the point. It will be a tool on which you can use your M lenses and take digital photographs. It will not be a perfect tool, but it will be a good tool. Remember, the camerea does not take the photo, you do. It is the lens that delivers your vision.

Back