Leibovitz portrait of the Queen

The image as a whole seems to have a brooding quality, sort of a calm before some impending doom.

Especially since the door is open and she's in evening dress with the Hyderbad diamonds, a display of Imperial excessive opulence balanced against the elemental forces of nature outside, now allowed to come in. She has more of a contained Mona Lisa smile rather than a smile of satisfaction or reflection.

Like the whole house of cards could now implode.

Edward Felcher said:
The image as a whole seems to have a brooding quality, sort of a calm before some impending doom.
Especially since the door is open and she's in evening dress with the Hyderbad diamonds, a display of opulence balanced against the elemental forces of nature outside, now allowed to come in. She has more of a contained Mona Lisa smile rather than a smile of satisfaction or reflection.
Like the whole house of cards could now implode.

Yes, I "read" it that way too. But others, with different biases, would think differently, I'm sure.

Yes, it is a crop - I saw the original somewhere on the web. I am not impressed by this portrait - I honestly expected more from AL - it's almost as if she didn't have the guts to do her usual portrait style. Oh well, in the end it really doesn't matter at all!

PS: I really don't see much of a Cecil Beaton influence. His work reflected a totally different zeitgeist.

Again, I think it's a good photograph.

35mmdelux said:
Isn't LB a Mamiya shooter?

I saw a film of her awhile back and she was using a ditigal Hasselblad, but you know they rent those things alot of times. But you may be right she may use a mamiya. But heck she has enough money she can own both.

RF-Addict said:
Yes, it is a crop - I saw the original somewhere on the web. I am not impressed by this portrait - I honestly expected more from AL - it's almost as if she didn't have the guts to do her usual portrait style. Oh well, in the end it really doesn't matter at all!

Yea, it's not like she was shooting Madona! :rolleyes: :angel:

ibcrewin said:
I like the shot.. I probably couldn't make the same shot myself.

I don't know that I'd have her sitting down, too easy. The shot is nice, but nothing new, I've seen dozens of similar poses in museums going back to the late Middle Ages.

This was negotiated her HRH staff.

I'm not surprised tho. Just check out her recent Susan Sontag fotos, standard homespun fare.

LB is used to movie star types that will strip for the attention. No such thing here.

Last edited:
Edward Felcher said:
PS: I really don't see much of a Cecil Beaton influence. His work reflected a totally different zeitgeist.

Again, I think it's a good photograph.

Edward, you are most perceptive and articulate about it!

Paul T. said:
I've not generally been a fan of Liebovitz's Vanity Fair work, it's too overblown and artificial. But I was very impressed by the way this was both dignified and insightful. The magnificent textures, and the grey clouds, heavy with portent, add the depth and moodiness of a Reynolds painting from the 18th century. There's a grandness, and a vulnerability there too.

Well put Paul, I love the use of the diffuse natural light, it reminded me initially of Rembrandt's capture of natural lighting, particularly when lit from one side by a window. I like the muted colors and that the trees, grass and clouds are included in the shot. The portrait does well in capturing some personality despite the Queen being a relatively small element of the image.
Nick

Paul T. said:
I've not generally been a fan of Liebovitz's Vanity Fair work, it's too overblown and artificial. But I was very impressed by the way this was both dignified and insightful. The magnificent textures, and the grey clouds, heavy with portent, add the depth and moodiness of a Reynolds painting from the 18th century. There's a grandness, and a vulnerability there too.

My feelings exactly. I've never been a fan of Liebovitz, but this portrait is very very good. Good read, Paul.

Thanks.

I think the photo was very, very carefully chosen by AL. It will be a major historical document.

I don't think there's any element of chance about it.

It was carefully posed, everything was carefully considered, and this photo was very carefully chosen from hundreds of shots and dozens of poses and arrangements.

It would be interesting to see the final short list of outtakes, for comparison's sake.

Edward Felcher said:
Thanks.

I think the photo was very, very carefully chosen by AL. It will be a major historical document.

I don't think there's any element of chance about it.

It was carefully posed, everything was carefully considered, and this photo was very carefully chosen from hundreds of shots and dozens of poses and arrangements.

It would be interesting to see the final short list of outtakes, for comparison's sake.
I would expect the palace press office would have an editorial veto; they would be looking for the most sympathetic image

Edward Felcher said:
Thanks.

and this photo was very carefully chosen from hundreds of shots and dozens of poses and arrangements.

I don't think HRH has the time to sit for "hundreds of shots, dozens of arrangements.."

I also don't think LB shoots scatter gun style. I think she pretty much knows what she wants and works around HRH personality and dynamics.

Last edited:
Similarities?

postersopranos1.jpg

35mmdelux said:
I don't know that I'd have her sitting down, too easy. The shot is nice, but nothing new, I've seen dozens of similar poses in museums going back to the late Middle Ages.

Precisely.

I would argue that Leibovitz photograph is best understood as part of tradition of British Royal portraiture.

The bad weather which has caused some comment is a routine feature of such pictures, at least since the Ditchley portrait of Elizabeth the First (1592). Its purpose is to demonstrate the transcendent status of the sitter, unaffected by the buffets of the world.

The entire composition bears some similarity to several other portraits of Elizabeth, particularly those of the older Queen, where elaborate dress unexpectedly serves to emphasis the frailty and humanity of the subject, thus in turn underlines the mystical nature of monarchy. The general handling is obviouly reminiscent of Gainsborough and the British 18th century school, which built on the work of the Dutch masters. As such I think the photograph is entirely successful.

Cheers, Ian

Jocko - I agree, IMHO.

Quite an interesting photo - the Queen is surveying her kingdom and towards the end of her reign and reflecting on events and changes. i like the way the window reflects part of what she is looking at.

Even so, it does look too wideangle, but still works as an environmental portrait.

Last edited:
For some reason when I saw this portrait Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy sprang to mind. Sadly indicative of a outmoded institution.

Back