Leica 50/1.4 summilux Asph.

Torsten Wolf, I like every single one of the photos you posted. I need to give Ektar a real go one of these days.

For me, there is not doubt: this is the "best" 50mm lens I have ever shot. By "best" mean the most well corrected, sharpest, and most "neutral" lens that can be shot at close (or close-ish) distance. It is not my favorite lens--only one of my favorites, and that's fine with me. The oft-heard comparison that it is like a Summicron plus one extra stop is very accurate. For me, it's like an M-Hexanon plus an extra stop because it does not flare like a Summicron!

There's way too much angst about this lens on this thread--people wondering if they and others are "good enough" to shoot it, or if the photos themselves are capable of representing the lens's resolving abilities. I don't know (nor do I care) if I'm a good enough photographer, but I'm happy I own a Summilux asph.

Availability within the US?

Availability within the US?

To those that have bought this lens in the US, where are they most readily in stock? B&H, Adorama, Tamarkin, Samy's - all show back order status and none are able to provide a time line for availability.

To those that have bought this lens in the US, where are they most readily in stock? B&H, Adorama, Tamarkin, Samy's - all show back order status and none are able to provide a time line for availability.
they are widely available all over
a friend of mine bought one recently for 990 euros. just keep looking

Last edited:
they are widely available all over
a friend of mine bought one recently for 990 euros. just keep looking
Hi. No, I'm looking for Leica's new 50/1.4 asph (Mfr# 11891). Not easy to find in the US. Very difficult. Our largest resellers like Adorama and B&H get one or two in every 2-3 months. They typically are sold before they hit the shelf.

Is the lens easier to come by in Europe? Wouldn't think so, because they aren't available from foreign sellers on eBay either. Typically even the difficult to find Leica gear is available from Hong Kong, but not this lens!

Nice photos, btw! Thanks for sharing.

Hi. No, I'm looking for Leica's new 50/1.4 asph (Mfr# 11891). Not easy to find in the US. Very difficult. Our largest resellers like Adorama and B&H get one or two in every 2-3 months. They typically are sold before they hit the shelf.

Is the lens easier to come by in Europe? Wouldn't think so, because they aren't available from foreign sellers on eBay either. Typically even the difficult to find Leica gear is available from Hong Kong, but not this lens!

Nice photos, btw! Thanks for sharing.
so why not to buy used in mint condition?

there was one for $3500 here in classifieds the day you posted your first message
Might well have been, as I was searching for a new lens at that time. If mint is selling at/near the price point of new, will hold out for new.

A question for the group about this lens and its older siblings. I've been shooting LF and MF for a long time and have come back to 35mm, just so easy to carry and great for spontaneous shots. I've come across a '64 version of the 50mm Summilux 1.4, how does it compare w/ the new lens? I understand that the new ones are coated and have corrections. I'll be honest on a gov't employee's salary I'm not up to shelling out $3k for lens...at least not yet. :D

We have a '68 M4 and are using a 28mm elmarit 2.8, shooting B&W and transparency films all developed at home. I didnt think I would get hooked on a RF but what a blast! I bought the camera for my wife's b-day (coming up and she doesnt know about it...the camera not her b-day ;)). I am going to have a hard time wrapping this up and giving it to her!

Anyway, if anyone out there has used the older version of this lens it would be great if I could hear about it.

Thanks

Erick

Last edited:
For pre-ASP shots:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72956

A question for the group about this lens and its older siblings. I've been shooting LF and MF for a long time and have come back to 35mm, just so easy to carry and great for spontaneous shots. I've come across a '64 version of the 50mm Summilux 1.4, how does it compare w/ the new lens? I understand that the new ones are coated and have corrections. I'll be honest on a gov't employee's salary I'm not up to shelling out $3k for lens...at least not yet. :D

We have a '68 M4 and are using a 28mm elmarit 2.8, shooting B&W and transparency films all developed at home. I didnt think I would get hooked on a RF but what a blast! I bought the camera for my wife's b-day (coming up and she doesnt know about it...the camera not her b-day ;)). I am going to have a hard time wrapping this up and giving it to her!

Anyway, if anyone out there has used the older version of this lens it would be great if I could hear about it.

Thanks

Erick

Shot on T-Max 400:

This is so very good and shows the contained contrast. I can't see how I'll get to this lens. I had a v2 Summilux stolen years ago and have only recently got wider than f2 with the ZM Sonnar, with which I am happy. But in a thread not devoted to the Lux ASPH, the 2000+ posts Leica M portraits thread, this lens was clearly the star.

Back