Leica as a fashion accessory in Bangkok

Long story short, Leica cameras have become some sort of a "fashion accessory " here in Bangkok and it is strange to see "newbies" walking into a camera store and buying the "best " Leica cameras and lenses.

It's a luxury store... it happens in the SOHO store here in NYC too. Leica has positioned itself as such, so I'm not surprised.

I am not going to lie, I am trying to find a way to help these cute Thai girls in understanding and using these cameras that they have just purchased.

Would you help a seemingly clueless Thai boy/ guy do the same? ;)

It's a luxury store... it happens in the SOHO store here in NYC too. Leica has positioned itself as such, so I'm not surprised.

If it's the MBK store that I go to it's not a luxury store at all. It's a goldmine of second hand bodies and lenses. Not the cheapest prices but an amazing selection with friendly helpful and knowledgeable guys in there.

I don't have a problem wit this at all, after all, what else is a 'LUXUS' apart from being a fashion accessory?

If sales like this can help support a niche business so well and good.

Great. I missed the release of the 'Polar-Panda' Leica. With that analogy the red one is disturbing.
Good on these girls. They could have done a lot worse that day. Maybe they've already joined RFF. I'm not worried they'll eclipse Helen anytime soon.

Leica should sell em with no guts inside and any color imaginable...for 2x's the price..just the empty body..and fake glass in the lens too..with the Leica name on front..thats enough..

I sometimes don't get why some seem to think that just because someone can afford something that they shouldn't have it because of none interest in purpose or lack of knowledge etc.
It always comes across as envy or jealousy.
If these 3 girls had been famous artists or photographers I'm pretty sure there would be a lot more positive posts above about how it's so marvelous to see our favorite brand being used as intended.

I sometimes don't get why some seem to think that just because someone can afford something that they shouldn't have it because of none interest in purpose or lack of knowledge etc.
It always comes across as envy or jealousy.
If these 3 girls had been famous artists or photographers I'm pretty sure there would be a lot more positive posts above about how it's so marvelous to see our favorite brand being used as intended.

More to the point it is great seeing young people buying Leicas.
That's where the future is.

Not just old crotchety farts who opine about the good old days when 100ASA film was considered fast and they don't need a Leica because they made a pin hole camera out of a shoe box and some electrical tape and it is just as good...

it's nice to know that there is a non-internet based leicaphile culture out there, and that it's composed of young women. very cool.

It is refreshing to see more young people getting into photography and not just snapping away selfies. I haven't been to Bangkok in two years and it is time to visit this camera shop.

Haha jsrockit, I think I've lost count of how many Thai males I have helped, taught, given advice and loaned one of my cameras for them to "try before they buy" a Leica.

I'm in a Leica photo group here in Bangkok that is made up of a lot of passionate enthusiasts who are crazy about Leica cameras. They have all the cool lenses and special edition models that come out. I try to get them to come 'street shooting' with me in the streets and all, but they are still in that 'shy phase' of street shooting , and not very comfortable yet out on the streets and in the thick of all the madness, but slowly they are coming around.

I am always down to take people out and around Bangkok shooting, I've done it a lot with some members of this forum and other photographers that I've met in other places. It just so happens that they are always male photographers. It would be nice to have a couple of female Leica photographers to go out with shooting every once in awhile, and it's a bonus if they just happen to be cute :p

When one of the girls was holding my camera and looking at it, I mentioned to her that it's a film Leica and then made a joke in Thai language to the sales assistant (who I know) telling him how much cooler film cameras are.

I should try to be more active and try to get something together like monthly Bangkok photo walks, small type of magazine / fanzine , etc... I like what some of the people I follow on Instagram are doing in Japan and I think it would be cool to try to do something similar .

Cheers, michael

I am always down to take people out and around Bangkok shooting, I've done it a lot with some members of this forum and other photographers that I've met in other places. It just so happens that they are always male photographers. It would be nice to have a couple of female Leica photographers to go out with shooting every once in awhile, and it's a bonus if they just happen to be cute :p

Cheers, michael

I look forward to meeting you Michael and do some shooting together. By the way I am very cute.

I don't have a problem wit this at all, after all, what else is a 'LUXUS' apart from being a fashion accessory?

If sales like this can help support a niche business so well and good.

Hi,

And don't forget the ETKAL and EPOCH which date back to 1930 or 31. Nothing changes.

Regards, David

Michael,
It is so refreshing to hear about your teaching and mentoring so many people. I find few people willing to spend the time with new photographers. Wonderful!

Fashion accessories...not here in my little world. It is odd but over the last decade or so, I have never had anyone comment about the Leica I was carrying, except for one older gentleman at a parade in a very small town near our home. He was indigent, but he saw my M3 and said, "Now that is a real camera, I always wanted a Leica." A short discussion followed and I realized he had fallen on hard times years ago but he was always interested in photography.

It is a rare thing here to see young people interested in "real cameras"... I only wish things here were similar with excitement as shown in your image. For that matter, I wish the older people I know got excited about anything!

Down South, here, it seems to be a rarity. Your days seem to be filled with excitement with the people around you. :)

Hey, if you really want a white camera B&H still has the white Holga 120N in stock, and the price of admission to that club is within reach for most people.

In fact, just an idea for the wealthy, get a white Leica and a white Holga and carry both. I'll bet that 90% of folks won't know the Holga is a plastic toy.

Back