Leica CL Glamour Photos

Ok All You CL junkies

How does it ‘feel’ in the hand ?
Snug , comfortable ?
A tad small ?

Anything irk You about the CL ,
Like: part too flimsy , something ??
Or it’s the real deal in compactness, be happy ;)

Thanks !!

Did you ever get a CL Helen?

The one complaint I have is the strap lugs are on the same side of the body, but that is a minor thing. Have Don adjust the meter for modern 1.5v batteries so you don't have to use Wein Cells. It is small but feels fine in my large hands. Has a solid feel and heft to it. Never had a problem with loading film.

Helen,
As Wjlapier, I too never got comfortable with the strap lugs on the same side. This "problem" was fixed by a Luigi Half Case. With the latter, the CL feels and handles just perfect, for me at least. M's feel "huge" and "heavy" next to the CL though, subjectively, they feel sturdier (I have had my CL for close to 20 years with no problems at all...). Focussing is no problem though not as fast as with M's or Barnack's. I also happen to really like the 40 mm focal length (the same as on my Rollei 35S). It often ends up the lens I chose when I want to "travel" light. The difficulties in having them serviced is however a concern, and for that reason, I carefully take care of mine.
All the best
Paul

Did you ever get a CL Helen?

The one complaint I have is the strap lugs are on the same side of the body, but that is a minor thing. Have Don adjust the meter for modern 1.5v batteries so you don't have to use Wein Cells. It is small but feels fine in my large hands. Has a solid feel and heft to it. Never had a problem with loading film.

You can always put a dumb MR 9 or a active CRIS adapter in with something like a silver oxide 1.5v battery. easiest is to get out a good meter and calibrate to see how far off you are first.

I like my CL...it reminds me of the M5 sitting in the closet. I have a trifecta of sorts with the outliers metered M mounts CL, M5, CLE. Could make it a quad with a Hexar. But it is kind of cool because two are essentialy built in spot meters and the other is innovative TTL matrix meter along with early TTL flash...if that's what you prefer.

Sherry or Don or ? Can put on a third lug. I like the two side lugs.
Get a Zhou half case. They're equipped with a lug on each side; they're also inexpensive (<$70), but quality is very good.

18610056-orig.jpg

Have had my CL for a few months now, and my impression is overall positive. I like the strap lug location. I like the small size and light weight. I don't mind the film loading. (Easier than an M) I like the clearly defined RF patch, but wish it were a tad bigger. The viewfinder is decent, but really wish were closer to 1:1. The shutter speed dial location is nice. Not bothered by the short RF base length - so far. It's black!

50843390161_59f4df8e2a_b.jpg
[/url]Leitz Minolta CL by Peter Jennings, on Flickr[/IMG]

My biggest gripe is the film advance lever. You have to advance it in one full pull and let it swing back. If I don't do it right, sometimes the shutter button won't work. Then I have to jiggle the lever a few times until it will fire. I've gotten used to it, but I don't like it.

I owned a CL Helen, with 40 Summicron, but found them both too small to be comfortable in my hands. I sold them both and bought an M6 and ZM 50/1.5 Sonnar which I find easier to operate, and still compact enough to carry on a motorbike or bicycle.
John Mc

Back