Leica CL outfit for a test run

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
4:04 PM
I recently purchased a CL with the 40/2 and 90/4 Leitz lenses, then added a couple of Voigtlanders, the 28/2, and the 15/4.5. Tomorrow the Voigtlander Zoom Finder is supposed to arrive, so I'll have to get it all in one of my camera bags, along with some film.

A bit of prep work was needed first, as someone had done a real amateur job of repainting the film chamber using a paint that was way too thick. I used some 1500 grit paper to take down the ridges and bubbles, then buffed it with a Dremel soft fiber wheel.

I've only gotten one Series 5.5 filter (UV haze), as the other one (yellow) was mistakenly relisted after it had sold. Those buggers are hard to find! I thought about getting the red one too, but it's from the same seller who had the yellow.

I don't know what possessed Leica to go with a Series filter mount anyway, but what is even worse is the lens cap they designed to go with the hood so you didn't have to remove the hood from the lens. I ordered a couple of Nikon snap-on caps, but they won't work because there is nothing for them to grip on the hood. So then I ordered a couple of generic hoods that come with caps, and a couple of Leica snap caps that fit the lens without the hood. Also have a 3-D printed grip coming from Turkey (if he ever gets it to the Post Office), and am eyeing a Patagonia half case which has a little grip bump on the front.

I plan to get the Voigtlander 21/4 later on to round out the kit. Can't think of much else, except a ZM body. In black, of course.

PF

sounds like lots of fun coming your way!
i loved my little cle...

Yes, it was fun, Joe. My first shots were at a place I photographed last year where I could not back up far enough to get the scene framed with a 35mm lens. The 15mm was just perfect.

PF

One of the reasons I bought the Minolta model lens was so I could use any filter on the lens rather than search for the Leica ones.

Also made buying hoods easier as they could be screwed onto the filter

DON

Congratulations on the new kit. I have one of the 3d printed grips on my cl. It is a good fit and really improves handling.

One of the reasons I bought the Minolta model lens was so I could use any filter on the lens rather than search for the Leica ones.

Also made buying hoods easier as they could be screwed onto the filter

DON

Yeah, if I had researched this a little more, Don, I would have gotten the Minolta version, and saved some money in the long run. But I'm happy with what I got. Every camera is a compromise no matter what you do.

PF

Congratulations on the new kit. I have one of the 3d printed grips on my cl. It is a good fit and really improves handling.

He finally got it mailed out after I nudged him along, and could be here in a couple of days. I also went ahead and got the 21mm VC lens as it was coming due, and I can't pass on a good price. Wasn't sure it would still be there after the first of the month. Since I still have half a roll in the camera, I'll be able to test it along with the grip when it arrives. If I find the time, that is. The weather has gotten nice, but now I've gotten busy with personal matters I can't put off any longer.

PF

What about Bessa L? They work really well with the 15. I swapped (every so often) between a CV 15 and a 25 snap-shot. The 25 was on her most of the time. Sell the 28 and use the 40/90 on the CL and the CV glass on the Bessa. Built in meter.

Just some crazy thoughts.

B2 (;->

I used 90mm Elmar-C for a while on an M6. I found a standard 39mm filter would screw in just enough to stay in place.

What about Bessa L? They work really well with the 15. I swapped (every so often) between a CV 15 and a 25 snap-shot. The 25 was on her most of the time. Sell the 28 and use the 40/90 on the CL and the CV glass on the Bessa. Built in meter.

Just some crazy thoughts.

B2 (;->

While they do make L-to-M adapters, you'd be hard pressed to find an M-to-L adapter.:D

I'm thinking about the ZM so I can get a late model Elmar-M 50/2.8, and I just prefer it over an M. The R4M is interesting for the fact it has the frame lines for most of the wides (down to 21mm). I'd also like to get a Nikon SP, but that's a different story (and sub-forum).

PF

I used 90mm Elmar-C for a while on an M6. I found a standard 39mm filter would screw in just enough to stay in place.

I'm going to stick with the S5.5 filters as I find them. It's not that big an issue, but the knock-off hoods won't fit because of a different thread pitch.

PF

Just an update. Instead of the ZM, I went with an M4-P because it was over $500 cheaper, plus it has the six 28 to 135 frame lines. And I gave up on my aversion to getting an M camera.

The issue with the lens caps was solved when I realized that 1) the 90mm had the wrong hood on it, and 2) the inside rim slot on the 40mm hood that came on the 90mm has a deeper cut, so it let the cap get a tighter grip on the hood. It was bad enough that you had to take the hood off the lens to get the cap off with a screwdriver. The proper 90mm hood has the right depth to it's rim slot, so all is well in that department.

I think I'll not do business again with the seller I got the outfit from. Between the switching of lens caps from what was in the photos, the mismatched accessories, and the lousy interior paint job, I'm lucky there is nothing major mechanically wrong with it.

PF

Those are fun little cameras. Mr Zhou sells some very well made half cases that allow them to hang horizontally on a strap like a regular camera. I never used a lens cap once in my entire life. Always went w/ a filter and a hood and that was it, unless I was transporting an extra lens or something. The neat thing about series filters is that you usually have to buy only one set, and after that you just change out the adapter to use them on different lenses.

Yes, Steve, I have quite a few Series filters, just nothing in that in between size until I got the CL. Don't even remember coming across one for sale before I went looking for that size in particular. Besides the UV, I now have two Orange ones (I ordered the second one because I forgot about the first one still in transit).

I really like the lens cap design for the two lenses. It sits on tight enough you don't have to worry about it getting knocked off while in the bag, plus it is flush with the mount, and doesn't hang up on the bag. I'm always putting the cap on when I'm not expecting to take a photo for a while because I don't want to burn holes in my shutter. It may sound a bit obsessive, but experience has taught me to always be careful where the lens is pointing.

I'm thinking of getting a Patagonian half case, with the built in grip.

PF

Back