Leica CL Price Drop?

And Leica did a great job making sure the M lenses (and even some of the CV lenses that don’t play well with digital M cameras) work extremely well on the digital CL :)

Jim,

I'm with Godfrey in that the CL is Barnack sized and works well with M and R lenses.

My 50 Lux-R "E60" becomes a 75/1.4 that renders wonderfully. I even use mt Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 stacking a Novaflex adapter onto a M-L mount adapter for a crazy 87/1.2. The CL takes these two great lenses and makes them better by exploiting the center sweet spot.

I love my 28 Cron-M on the CL and the 42mm FOW makes it most like the original CL. This is how I rig the CL as an every-day-carry.

Because of the utility of this camera I think it would be foolish for me to ever sell it, especially since I also own a SL with a "L" mount.

For AF I own the 23 Cron (35mm FOV).

Cal

it happens with all digital cameras, the longer you wait, the cheaper they get.
:)

Very true. I believe I could sell my CL film at at the same price I bought it 5 years ago.

Not in the right forum ! Film CL here !

The conversation is here, regardless of whether it's "right" or not. :cool:

All cameras prices drop as they age, regardless film or digital, until they get to their fully depreciated bottom point. The Leitz CL bottomed out more than 25 years ago; it was discontinued 40 years ago. The digital Leica CL is still a current model and the body is comparatively inexpensive new. I expect fully depreciated in about six years it will sell for $400-$700, maybe less than that.

What difference does it make? Do you want to wait a decade before you buy anything and toss away a decade's worth of making photographs? The digital Leica CL will continue to make the same quality photos it does now in a decade: buying it then will be a bargain, because it makes excellent quality photos now and is worth the price. I'd rather buy it now, new or used, and use it for a decade—the lost opportunity cost of not having it for a decade is much higher than the reduced price.

I bought my Leica CL body new. It's one of the best cameras I've owned. I'll use it until it no longer works, just like my Olympus E-1 (which was a $2500 camera in 2003 and can now be purchased for $100 in good working condition); similar price new to the digital CL. I still use that E-1 too occasionally. Both cameras have made hundreds if not thousands of superb photographs for me.

What's more important to you? Some money or good equipment to make photographs?

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Some people have to consider budget restrictions.

The conversation is here, regardless of whether it's "right" or not. :cool:

All cameras prices drop as they age, regardless film or digital, until they get to their fully depreciated bottom point. The Leitz CL bottomed out more than 25 years ago; it was discontinued 40 years ago. The digital Leica CL is still a current model and the body is comparatively inexpensive new. I expect fully depreciated in about six years it will sell for $400-$700, maybe less than that.

What difference does it make? Do you want to wait a decade before you buy anything and toss away a decade's worth of making photographs? The digital Leica CL will continue to make the same quality photos it does now in a decade: buying it then will be a bargain, because it makes excellent quality photos now and is worth the price. I'd rather buy it now, new or used, and use it for a decade—the lost opportunity cost of not having it for a decade is much higher than the reduced price.

I bought my Leica CL body new. It's one of the best cameras I've owned. I'll use it until it no longer works, just like my Olympus E-1 (which was a $2500 camera in 2003 and can now be purchased for $100 in good working condition); similar price new to the digital CL. I still use that E-1 too occasionally. Both cameras have made hundreds if not thousands of superb photographs for me.

What's more important to you? Some money or good equipment to make photographs?

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Back