Leica CL resurrection

johnnyalucard

Local time
12:22 PM
Super happy with myself!

Bought a junker CL on the offchance I might be able to do something with it.

Body slightly scrappy - but I kind of like that because it means I don’t have to take too much care of it, lightmeter fubar, slow shutter speeds inconsistent.

Took the top and front off and worked out by trial and error how it should be put together. Took it apart and put it back together about 10 times refining it each time and getting to know each part and how it interacts with every other.

MANY frustrations and failed attempts but lockdown has brought me some patience and a whole lot of time and now after some enjoyable time with a lovely bit of old engineering and electronics I have a fully working and accurate camera. Still a bit scrappy looking but that’s what I wanted!

It does make me think that maybe the problems with the light meter cell might be overstated. This is one of the earlier ones and with a proper setup and by use of judicious trimming it is very accurate despite its age. There is a lot mechanically and electrically that has to be right for the cell to report correctly to the meter in the viewfinder though but this one, at nearly 50 years old, is still reading light well.

Now I’ve got this one working I want to have a go at fixing another one!

The whole process reminded me of setting up the mechanical fuel injection on my 1970 Mercedes. FUN - if you like that sort of thing.

That's interesting. Did you have to replace any parts to get it working properly? Were you able to figure out how to time the shutter?

No replacements. Everything was there just badly misaligned.

The shutter speeds (low range only) I tested with a slomo video taken on my phone.

That's great. I've had CL meters repaired several times, but they always start acting up again soon. My understanding was that there are some contacts, maybe toward the front of the body, that are difficult to keep working. If you can add any insight that would be great. I think there is a switch on the front that you can mess with and sometimes get contact.

I guess I don't really care about the meter, but I'm still curious. I'd love to see some pictures.

There are many, many potential points of failure and I think a certain fragility to the design but I would think that once dived into the insides become fairly familiar and each element is robust enough - it’s how they interact with each other that the fragility is introduced.

As I said I didn’t have to replace anything I just had to make sure everything that was there was properly interacting with its neighbours. The points where I found problems tended to be either dirty electronics or slipped joints where screws had loosened. All meccano stuff really.

If I take it apart again I’ll try to take pictures.

The meter works in mine, but keeping a Wein cell available and ready was aggravating, so I started using it without the meter. Sure, I can get a converter for using a 357 cell, but where is the fun in that? I do good enough with estimating exposures.

After I got the M4-P the CL doesn't get as much use, but I like it for its two-lens kit simplicity, so I keep it around for day trips and the such (whenever that is allowed again). I think if one just uses the C series lenses it should last a long time without issues.

They are fine little cameras, as long as you don't drop them, or use them for everyday stuff.

PF

CLs have weak points in the wiring, but I've found the meters usually are still good, they just need some juice. :)

High resistance can build up over the years and, given the very small amount of power available things will grind to a(n electronic) halt. Cleaning and or the mechanical bits should sort it out, provided the cell has not been left out for the UV to zap...

That's probably why all my old meters, bought in boxes and cases from new, still work after a mild weak.

Regards, David

CLs have weak points in the wiring, but I've found the meters usually are still good, they just need some juice. :)

That is my understanding from a professional Leica repairer. I've never had a CL meter continue to work reliably more than a year or two, then it is always some minor contact problem. I'm glad to hear others have had better luck.

Again, I really don't much care about the meter anyway. Just interested in what causes this issue. I usually take the batteries out of the few cameras I have with meters (except the Nikon F3 of course). The only one I use the meter in is my M5.

It is a nice little camera, especially if you like 40mm.

johnnyalucard .. did you disassemble the winder mechanism?
I have two CLs in parts here and I tried putting this back together but it is hard to get that right. (In fact the Leica Repair Book even says to leave it in place if possible cos it is hard to put it back together)

I am at a point were I would give up.
I had repaired CLs before but I wasn't that deep in

Back