Leica CL

mac_wt

Cameras are like bunnies
Local time
11:38 AM
Look what the postman just brought! I think I actually ripped the package from his fingers. It's a wonderfull little camera. The finder is very bright (at least compared to my FSU and fixed lens cameras) and the rangefinder patch is very easy to see. It's about the same size as the Canonet in the picture (maybe slightly smaller) and a lot lighter. The meter works great, but I had to google for some instructions on how to turn it on. Only problem is that the rangefinder is a little out of vertical alignment. Any ideas on how to adjust this?

Wim

Yes, I know how to do this. Been there, done that.

Unless you are very good with jewelers screw drivers, and modifying them, it is best to have a professional do this. The CL mechanism can be damaged if you use too much force in adjusting the screws, and they are often epoxied down to hold position.

If the camera has not been serviced in a while, it is well worth paying the $120 or so to have it CLA'd, meter contacts cleaned, lubed, and RF adjusted.

With that stated; the adjustment screws are under the small plastic cap on the top plate. It is quite hard to get off. You can use some sticky tape to "pull it up a little" then get a small flat blade screwdriver onto the side to pop it up. You will see a wierd looking screw that is realy two concentric screws; a very small fine one on the interior and a split screw exterior to it. They are usually epoxied by the last guy who adjusted it just BECAUSE IT IS A PAIN! Each screw adjusts vertical and horizontal. Yup, you get one in place just to have the other move it off. By the time you converge to a solution, hope that you do not strip the screws or damage the mechanism. If you do, it will cost a lot more to repair than the $120 that Essex in New Jersey charges for a Leica CL standard service! I have no problem adjusting Canons and Nikons. I have popped the faceplate off of my Black Nikon SP to adjust the RF and have removed the focus helical of a Nikon S2 to adjust the film-to-flange distance. I sent the CL to Essex for a service, and was glad I did.

In other words, that reads, DON'T ADJUST IT YOURSELF :)

Brian, thanks for the tip as well, mine is aligned, but if it ever comes out... it's good to know this.

Congrats Mac ! I bet you'll love the CL anyway, it's a great little cam and the lens is fantastic, it's also good that some people seem to clearly dislike it, that keeps prices down to earth.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, I will not try this myself.
Where do I send it in Europe? To Luton in the UK (but they have a waiting list until april/may) or to a local contact point of the Leica Service net or straigth to Wetzlar? Does anybody have experience with Leica repair in Europe?

Taffer, I can see why some would dislike it (short rangefinder base, made in Japan,...), but it does seem to fit my hand. It's an affordable way to get a camera with an m-mount and ttl metering.

Wim

Congratulations on the CL! Looks like a beauty!
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered from Sherry Krauter. Maybe today....

Way

Let's all agree on one thing: these Leicas are bad news... They have problems and don't work well unless you have oodles of time and patience. :mad:

Will that help keep prices down? ;)

Congratulations on your purchase, Wim! :D

It somewhat mystifies me that anyone would even consider "do it yourself" repair on a Leica. A Leica is like a swimming pool - if you can afford one, you can afford the upkeep, too. Why take the chance?

dll927 said:
It somewhat mystifies me that anyone would even consider "do it yourself" repair on a Leica. A Leica is like a swimming pool - if you can afford one, you can afford the upkeep, too. Why take the chance?

Just for fun, some people like to take pictures soem liek to tear down wall or cameras.

Yup, that's me. Give me a camera and I'll use my powerdrill on it.
But seriously: if it involves turning a screw or replacing a seal, why would I pay all that money to have it done with a German screwdriver or with official red dot foam? Now if it's like what Brian describes, I agree completely that it's best to have it done by a skilled technician.

Wim

The Leica's are more complex to adjust and repair. I would dive right into adjusting the RF on my M3 without hesitation. The adjustment screws are readily accessible and the procedure is well documented. If I came across a basket case M3 or M2, I probably would open it up. The Canon 7 that I took apart required TWO ice cube trays to store all of the parts, taken off in order, to get it working again. (still works, right Joe?...) BUT the Leica has a lot more adjustments than most cameras. I liken it to my Brothers car with 3 carb's and dual points. Lots of adjusting, but went really fast when he wanted it to.

I clean my own pool, add all the chemicals, and do everyday maintenance; but paid a contractor to do the new Plaster and tile job.

Last edited:
Back