Leica grip on ikon?

SSvindal

Local time
8:22 AM
Good evening in your local timezone. Do any of you know if the leica handgrip (for the analog m cameras) fit the zeiss ikon? the zeiss and leica have almost identical dimensions and the leica grip seems signficantly easier to find.

I wouldn't think so; the dimension are not quite exactly the same, and more to the point, the tripod mounting lug with which they attach isn't in the same place on the two cameras. I suspect you'll have to find the proper one (or perhaps some generic aftermarket version) to make it work.

The Zeiss and Leica M grips are actually shaped very similarly, with the threaded fastener in about the same place. I just tried putting the grip from my M2 on the Zeiss Ikon and... No go! The main issue is that while the Leica has a uniformly rounded end, the Zeiss body is squared off on the right front edge. That prevents the Leica grip from fitting closely enough to fasten. Secondarily, the Zeiss body has round extensions on the bottom surface, one for the rewind and one for the grip fastener socket that call for matching rounded recesses in the Zeiss grip, which the Leica grip doesn't have. I think one could use a Dremel tool to grind away some of the Leica grip for that squared corner on the Zeiss but it still wouldn't fit all the way down because of the rounded bottom parts on the Zeiss body. Close, but no cigar!

I want to thank everyone for their reponse. Especially doug who test-fitted it and Huss for suggesting buttergrip. Never ever heard of it! How come you prefer it?

Butter grips are nice. Wouldn't take them long to come up with one for the ZI. Waiting on ebay for a genuine one is an option too just like Bob said.

Personally I find half cases cumbersome since you'd have to remove it every time you finish a roll...

Same thing with a grip.

The ZI's grip doesn't interfere with the film door:

1xCLBN.jpg

(photo courtesy: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1381219)

It has opening at bottom so no trouble engaging rewind either. The only time you'd remove it is to change batteries.

You are right. I've not used my grip on a Zeiss in ages...and that's the reason for my mistake. I have a half-case with it...suits me well, especially since the Zeiss is not built like a tank.

I want to thank everyone for their reponse. Especially doug who test-fitted it and Huss for suggesting buttergrip. Never ever heard of it! How come you prefer it?

The Buttergrip is extremely light weight yet very strong. It is very comfortable to hold with no edges. It is neutral temperature -wise. It is very cheap.

I bought a fancy custom metal grip for my Nikon F2, which cost about $80, and the Buttergrip is much nicer to use on camera. It's also nicer feeling than the Leica made Leica grips that I have on my M7/M4 etc (that I bought before I heard of Buttergrip).

And you can get it in lots of different colours!

Back