Leica M film camera viewfinder issues

Jonathan R

Established
Local time
9:50 AM
I have to wear glasses full time nowadays (varifocals). As a result, I can no longer easily see the 35mm framelines of my 0.72 M6. That means I am limited to a 50mm lens for any subject that might need quick action to get a picture. In turn that makes focussing more critical and scale focussing less successful.

Logically I would buy a second body with a 0.58 viewfinder and stick the 35mm on that, but I can't afford to. So I was just wondering ... is it physically impossible for someone to make a viewfinder adapter that would shrink the viewfinder image slightly and bring the 35mm framelines back into view? Is that what the - diopters actually do?

Leica makes magnifiers (1.25x and 1.4x, maybe others). You can buy them on B&H. They are not cheap!

I don't know whether you can get a de-magnifier (?). Other than the goggles for 35mm lenses on the M3 of course. Googling "Leica M de-magnifier" turns up some forum posts. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of them.

Well, if you put a diopter on, you can move your pupil closer and see the frame (without your glasses).
As a M6 user wearing glasses myself, I can't see the entire frame either, but with two eyes open and experience, it really isn't a problem - Leica was never the right tool for precise framing.

Rather than glue could I suggest clear finger nail polish instead? Since these finders are threaded on, just a small dab of polish on the threads should hold it on and it's still easily removed if need be.

I have to wear glasses full time nowadays (varifocals). As a result, I can no longer easily see the 35mm framelines of my 0.72 M6. ...
Just glance around the VF to frame and take the picture - you'll get used to it. I've been shooting with glasses for many years and have never had an issue with viewing the 35mm framelines. The 28? - well, that might be another story. ...

Just glance around the VF to frame and take the picture - you'll get used to it. I've been shooting with glasses for many years and have never had an issue with viewing the 35mm framelines. The 28? - well, that might be another story. ...

I did this for years with my M2. Yes, one can get used to it. But another idea is to use a 35mm aux finder in the shoe. They are a lot cheaper than a second Leica, and the good ones are actually very nice to use, with a clear and uncluttered view. Leitz and Voigtlander are good choices.

I'm going to guess that a 0.58 finder could be transplanted into your present camera. It wouldn't be cheap, but would be far cheaper than a whole new camera. When I bought my M6TTL, I deliberately got a 0.58. It's a joy to use with a 28 or 35, but 50mm frame lines are smallish, and 75mm is as small as I can comfortably use. There's always a trade-off! And of course, at today's prices, I could never afford that second body.

I think Andy hit upon a good solution... I've always had this same problem with the M2's 35mm framelines, so eventually I got a 35mm f/2.8 Summaron, the one with goggles for the M3. Works a treat! The goggles expand the view and bring up the 50mm frames, now sized just right for 35mm viewing. This is more like it! Or you could get a Konica Hexar RF, which has a 0.6x viewfinder for less $$ than a Leica with 0.58 and still takes M lenses.

Well, if you put a diopter on, you can move your pupil closer and see the frame (without your glasses).
As a M6 user wearing glasses myself, I can't see the entire frame either, but with two eyes open and experience, it really isn't a problem - Leica was never the right tool for precise framing.

I forgot to mention that I am left-eye-dominant. So my nose makes it difficult to get my eye close to the VF in any case!

I use a diopter, but whether or not you could depends on your eyesight. I am a bit shortsighted with minimal astigmatism (cylindrical) correction, so I'm lucky. As I get older it becomes more critical that I use the best off the shelf diopter value as a result of eyesight accommodation becoming less as the years pass.

Back