Leica M10 Monochrom with my oldest Leica lens ...

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
1:42 PM
I'm still testing out my lenses on the M10 Monochrom ... I don't use such a long lens very often, but I pulled out my mint example of a 1959-1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5 (M-mount version) and fitted it to the camera. I chose the "135mm f/4" lens profile, just to have 135mm listed in the EXIF, and did a little hand-held test shooting using only the rangefinder to focus.

Have to say, it's not sharp like a modern lens, but it's not too far off and produces very nice imaging qualities. :D

Sun Umbrella - Mountain View 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Hektor 135mm f/4.5
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/750

Enjoy! G

Nicely shown, Godfrey. Many people will not use such a long lens with a RF camera. I tried it out for a while with film. Then I gave up :)

Nice idea. I was reading in my American Cinematographer this month that Directors of photography are reacting to the hi-res digital movie format by asking for lenses with more aberrations than the modern lenses have! They are keeping the lens department at Panavision busy, modifying their advanced lenses to add aberrations! Really!

Nice idea. I was reading in my American Cinematographer this month that Directors of photography are reacting to the hi-res digital movie format by asking for lenses with more aberrations than the modern lenses have! They are keeping the lens department at Panavision busy, modifying their advanced lenses to add aberrations! Really!

Try and find some old cine lens from the 50's and before. Those which have not been bought up are commanding higher prices. The current lenses capable of looking aberrant are at high market prices, too. But those are rented rather than purchased I understand. The old low contrast, less sharp lenses are in demand. Cooke lenses - I am currently ecstatic about a film Cooke I bought - are used for their glow. I have a couple of CV lenses which I dislike now for their harshness on an M9. I suppose I can fix them in post. I will try them on the new Pixii but doubt the results will be better.

I currently favor 50's Jupiters, 60's Canons and a late 40's Cooke Amotal. The current CV's are just too much. I am glad I listened to the wiser heads here on lens choices because they are right. This is similar to when digital audio recording became popular. The techniques had to be revised to make the sound less harsh, more mellow. Some of the early classical CD's could set your teeth on edge. Adjustments were made. The sound is less harsh and very accurate. I wonder if CV will start a new line.

Back