Leica M11 Monochrom

My only interest is the effect on M10M prices. Maybe not much, since folks seem so pleased with that camera.

John

I’ve owned every Monochrom to date. I’ve used almost nothing else for my personal work since 2012 when the first one came out. The M10M is a really great camera. But I’d probably still be using the MM if the sensor didn’t keep corroding and the buffer held more than 3 photos worth of data.

1681424597201.jpeg

My typ 246 was really slow, although Leica told me several times it was fine. It was slow to wake up and had an inexplicable shutter lag at times. I took fewer pictures with it than I did with any other main camera I’ve owned since I started photographing. When it worked it was great.

1681424815340.jpeg

But the M10M is great. I can find no real flaws from a user perspective.

1681424982302.jpeg

But there is a constant Leica margin In upgrading. If I wanted to get my 4 main lenses calibrated to the new rangefinder of a new camera (and they would need it), it would be $AU1200-1500 and several months. A grip will be $AU660. M11 batteries in Australia are $AU310. Leica Store | Battery BP-SCL7 silver M11 I’m out. Maybe I’ll get an M11M, used, when my M10M breaks.

Marty

I’ve owned every Monochrom to date. I’ve used almost nothing else for my personal work since 2012 when the first one came out. The M10M is a really great camera. But I’d probably still be using the MM if the sensor didn’t keep corroding and the buffer held more than 3 photos worth of data.

View attachment 4820206

My typ 246 was really slow, although Leica told me several times it was fine. It was slow to wake up and had an inexplicable shutter lag at times. I took fewer pictures with it than I did with any other main camera I’ve owned since I started photographing. When it worked it was great.

View attachment 4820207

But the M10M is great. I can find no real flaws from a user perspective.

View attachment 4820208

But there is a constant Leica margin In upgrading. If I wanted to get my 4 main lenses calibrated to the new rangefinder of a new camera (and they would need it), it would be $AU1200-1500 and several months. A grip will be $AU660. M11 batteries in Australia are $AU310. Leica Store | Battery BP-SCL7 silver M11 I’m out. Maybe I’ll get an M11M, used, when my M10M breaks.

Marty

Being out of the loop for a while has been interesting. I just went and looked at Leica prices in Oz and near fell out of my chair! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

The M10M is very good at reproducing the grey scale. I am not comparing it to b/w film but it stands on its own. Skin tones are pleasing not latex like. If the M11M can improve it then I would be interested.

16 stops of dynamic range? Geez, talk about AI. So in theory, take a shot in any lighting condition at any aperture, at any ASA, and you get a perfectly usable photo. What's the fun in that?

I may be an irrational curmudgeon, but digital photography has always brought me zero enjoyment. I'm glad that a computer and software automatically made a crappily-exposed photo better for me.

16 stops of dynamic range? Geez, talk about AI. So in theory, take a shot in any lighting condition at any aperture, at any ASA, and you get a perfectly usable photo. What's the fun in that?
You haven’t encountered Leica’s strangely unreliable digital M metering then, I assume? I still have trouble.

IMO the price to IQ ratio is now even more too drastic for a niche camera, were the difference compared to colour sensor conversation is minimal except for high iso.
Other forums disregard the fact there's a focus shift for red filter with monochrome cameras.

I'll wait for a GR monochrome for any mono conveniences...

IMO the price to IQ ratio is now even more too drastic for a niche camera, were the difference compared to colour sensor conversation is minimal except for high iso.
Other forums disregard the fact there's a focus shift for red filter with monochrome cameras.

I'll wait for a GR monochrome for any mono conveniences...
The M11 Mono is $500 more than the M11 in Australia. Leicas are just expensive.

I have seen a lot of discussion about focus shift with filtration. The advantage with live view is that focusing through the filter the focus shift is accounted for. Of course with the rangefinder it is not. I noticed some focus shift with my MM even with a yellow filter. I would really like a digital monochrome M-like camera with an EVF.

Now that Pentax have a Monochrome camera I think a lot of people would like a Monochrome GR, me included.

I ‘borrowed’ the v1 monochrom I gave to my son last month -for a whole month! And, it still is an amazing camera, doing everything I love, like a continuous roll of B&W film with fantastic quality. It is not a fast camera with its processing and limited buffer, but I’m not a burst-style photographer and have only run into this a few times. I wanted the monochrom when it was introduced, but ‘the price,’ and a few years later made a trade [with a lens] to get it. Had the sensor replaced free by Leica along with an overhaul to make it ‘like-new.’ Although it’s nice to see Leica continuing with updated versions of the monochrom, I can’t see updating myself. The v1 monochrom may not have the dynamic range of the later versions, but I expose for the highlights so they are not washed out, and it has a full 14-bits of information to work with, and for an old film user the somewhat limited high-end ISO isn’t a problem. New prices for these are still - if expected - somewhat of a shock. My son loves using the old and now outdated v1 monochrom ;-), learning photography with B&W much like I did with film, and has done some nice work with the v1.

I had my original GR on a monochrome pre-set most of the time. As many folks said, it was very ‘film-like.’ Haven’t used it for some time because of sensor dust (which I’m going to try and clean}, but if Ricoh made a new monochrome version I’d be interested in that ‘perfect camera.’ Sorry, not M11M related…

Still with the original Monochrom M. Suspect there are improvement since, but like with my M2 (or M6) not enough for it to matter to me. I will look at a good review when available. My Monochrom is stable with a late 2018 sensor replacement. I'm still struggling with the Cycolpsian face of the top plate of recent digital Leicas, which are minus the frame line illumination window. I'm being silly of course. And that is less noticeable in black.

I was never able to handle the highlights properly with my M9M , especially in high-contrast situations. All in all an expensive disappointment.

Back