Leica M11-P released w/provenance security chip

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
3:26 AM
I like the minimalist look sans Red dot.

With the advent of AI and increasingly powerful photo editing features, being able to prove the provenance of a photo is as important as ever. Leica is taking that seriously with the M11-P. Based on the M11 manual rangefinder, it has a dedicated security chip that generates a signed Content Credentials certificate. Included in the metadata of the image, it allows the photo to be verified via Adobe's Content Authenticity Initiative. Continuing the tradition of "-P" releases, it also forgoes the iconic red dot for added subtlety, adopts heritage engraving, and boosts the internal storage to 256GB while retaining the 60-megapixel, backside-illuminated CMOS sensor of the standard model

From early reports, over at LUF, this 'authentication' thingy comes with quite a practical penalty - I've heard 3+ seconds added to start-up time between switching the camera on and being able to take a photo. Which I'd find painful.

...Mike
The M11 was slow to begin with at 3.5 sec. So you're saying the M11P another +3 on top of that?

The M11 was slow to begin with at 3.5 sec. So you're saying the M11P another +3 on top of that?
I can't attest to it myself, but I've seen that reported over on LUF. Whether it's true or not seems a bit up in the air - but I don't find it encouraging. (I had in fact had some idle thoughts in that direction, but if the price isn't enough to scare me off - and it probably is! - then this, if true, might complete the process.)

...Mike

I can't attest to it myself, but I've seen that reported over on LUF. Whether it's true or not seems a bit up in the air - but I don't find it encouraging. (I had in fact had some idle thoughts in that direction, but if the price isn't enough to scare me off - and it probably is! - then this, if true, might complete the process.)

...Mike
The digital Ms including the regular M11 and M11M are too slow to start and wake already. Any longer is not acceptable to me.

The digital Ms inclyding the regular M11 and M11M are too slow to start and wake already. Any longer is not acceptable to me.
I'm more-and-more thinking that I like my M typ 240 just fine. It does all I really need and want. In fact, I've been rather enjoying using it of late - which has reminded me of how much I like RFs in general and that camera in particular. YMMV - but mine doesn't.

...Mike

[EDIT]

P.S. When I first bought my M typ 240, I had a real problem with start-up time. I took advice (from LUF, as it happens) on selecting the right SD cards, and using SD-formatter software, and haven't had a major problem with start-up time since.

[/EDIT]

I'm more-and-more thinking that I like my M typ 240 just fine. It does all I really need and want. In fact, I've been rather enjoying using it of late - which has reminded me of how much I like RFs in general and that camera in particular. YMMV - but mine doesn't.

...Mike
My Typ 246 was excruciatingly slow to start and wake. So much so that I sent it back to Leica a couple of times, but they said it was within spec. It was so slow I can’t believe they are all that slow. I dislike the camera maybe more than it deserves. I did like the chunky battery.

My Typ 246 was excruciatingly slow to start and wake. So much so that I sent it back to Leica a couple of times, but they said it was within spec. It was so slow I can’t believe they are all that slow. I dislike the camera maybe more than it deserves. I did like the chunky battery.
You might want to pay attention to which SD card you use, and then use SD-Formatter (free open source software) to format it. It made a big difference for me.

...Mike

I use a 16 gb card recommended by Sonnar_Brian. I empty it after every shoot. It probably helps quite a bit.
I also use 16gb cards (both Sandisk - I just checked: "Extreme Plus 80mb/s") formatted with SD Formatter, and I also in-camera format after each use. I'm not sure how much each part of that contributes - but it works for me so I'm not about to change anything!

...Mike

Last edited:
I also use 16gb cards (both Sandisk - I just checked: "Extreme Plus 80mb/s") formatted with SD Formatter, and I also in-camera format after each use. I'm not sure how much each part of that contributes - but it works for me so I'm not about to change anything!

...Mike
As I've outlined elsewhere, I am very careful to pick my cards and I use my cards like film. I buy them, format them, fill them, then put them aside. So my cards are never written over or erased or anything. I am almost sure I bought a Typ 246 that is 0.01% inside the slowest acceptable rate of everything. A slow horse, if you like.

As I've outlined elsewhere, I am very careful to pick my cards and I use my cards like film. I buy them, format them, fill them, then put them aside. So my cards are never written over or erased or anything. I am almost sure I bought a Typ 246 that is 0.01% inside the slowest acceptable rate of everything. A slow horse, if you like.
Could just be one of those and my 240 could be on the fast end. It is strange how that plays out sometimes.

I applaud Leica for addressing this issue, even though there may be problems in usability or convenience. I'm certain that over time technological advancements will improve this process.

Although I'm not Leica's target customer and none of my photos warrant such protection, I am happy to see this.

Do photographers submit the raw files with the edited version to show it wasn’t manipulated?

Back