Leica M3 advance lever problem (Have to advance 3 times)

Local time
2:05 PM
Leica M3 advance lever problem.

I have to advance 3 times in order to take a shot. My M3 is a DS version (Double stroke). The first stroke is smooth, the second one stars to tighten up a bit, and the third one is the last stroke. I wonder what's the first stroke.

I can still take pictures. The roll does move, but I really don't know why I need to advance 3 times. Thanks :)

I had a similar problem, sometimes my M3 DS would need 3 strokes to advance film. On the frames that needed 3 strokes, the spacing between the shots was very uneven.
Had to get it repaired, the gearing in the advance mechanism was worn out.

I had a similar problem, sometimes my M3 DS would need 3 strokes to advance film. On the frames that needed 3 strokes, the spacing between the shots was very uneven.
Had to get it repaired, the gearing in the advance mechanism was worn out.

Oh, so it wasn't just me! Glad to head that.. Were the photos fine? The ones that you need 3 strokes, because all of my shots need 3 strokes :(

The photos were fine, just a lot of wasted space between them.
Mine also worked correctly without film, once the film was in, the problems started.

Thanks for the info! :)

I don't really understand by "just a lot of wasted space between them �� could you please explain that to me?

like this

RbgKrmP.jpg

I would say that camera is in dire need of a CLA, possibly single stroke conversion.

even a single stroke camera could be advance with double or several small strokes but looking at you neg the camera needs indeed a fix.

Oh dear!

A bad omen, I presume.

That poor snake that has had their skin sacrificed for this M3, will be seriously angry now.

I guess she'll wait somewhere, and finally bite your ankle :)

Back