Leica M3, Voigtländer 15-35 zoom finder, Voigtländer double shoe adapter - but what meter to use?

frank.h.maier

Local time
7:04 PM
Hello,

after a long time of using the combo M3 + double shoe + VCMeter II + suitable wide angle finders, I got increasingly annoyed of having to change finders all the time.

So I upgraded to the Voigtländer 15-35mm zoom finder.

Nasty surprise: the zoom finder and the meter do not fit on the double shoe adapter at the same time.

I was contemplating buying the ultra slim KEKS KM-Q to replace the meter, but I can't find relieable information if this will really fit.

Anyone out there who tried this yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Frank

I use a zoom finder and a hand held meter (Sekonic L-308) with my Nikon S-2. I like having the far more capable meter that way.

Thanks William!

I do own a handheld meter, which I cherish, but an attachable meter like the VCII or the KEKS just seems more convenient to me on the Leica. Most of my other workhorses have built in meters, so I'm a bit biased.

Best regards,
Frank

I can't visualize your setup, but I found that I could use my VCmeter II after I changed the foot to the alternative position.

I like TTL metering, but I find if the camera needs an external meter, I'm just as happy to have it hand held. My VC meter is on a string around my neck. See post #30 in this thread:

I like TTL metering, but I find if the camera needs an external meter, I'm just as happy to have it hand held. My VC meter is on a string around my neck. See post #30 in this thread:

Hey John,

thanks for the reply.

I attached two fotos of my setup to clarify. You can probably see that the meter won't fit when the finder is on.

I know that it is possible to change the position of the meter's foot, but obviously not as far as necessary.

I'll keep looking for a solution. In the meantime, using the VC2 hand-held, or my Sekonic, is not a bad idea at all.

Best regards,
Frank

Attachments

• 20231212_171048.jpg
    20231212_171048.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231212_171058.jpg
    20231212_171058.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 15
Just got the Reflx Lab Meter. I am very happy with it. Plopped it on my M-A.

Hey Akiva,

thank you. I didn't know about this meter. But the way it looks, the space concern remains. I want to shoot wide angle lenses on the M3, so one shoe for the finder(s) and one for the meter are a necessity.

Best regards,
Frank

I frequently use both a VCMeter II and an external finder with my LTM Leicas. I put the meter in the shoe of a CTOOM flash bracket and the finder in the shoe on the camera. The CTOOM fits all film Leicas, LTM and M. The only cautionary note is that the CTOOM was made with either 1/4" or 3/8" screws to fit the tripod thread on the camera.

I find the VCMeter II much more convenient to use on the CTOOM than on the camera itself. I use the viewfinder to aim the meter at the subject and press the button on the back of meter with my left thumb. I also find the CTOOM extension on the left of the camera (seen from the back) acts as a more effective auxiliary grip than the usual attachments on the right end of the camera.

I frequently use both a VCMeter II and an external finder with my LTM Leicas. I put the meter in the shoe of a CTOOM flash bracket and the finder in the shoe on the camera. The CTOOM fits all film Leicas, LTM and M. The only cautionary note is that the CTOOM was made with either 1/4" or 3/8" screws to fit the tripod thread on the camera.

I find the VCMeter II much more convenient to use on the CTOOM than on the camera itself. I use the viewfinder to aim the meter at the subject and press the button on the back of meter with my left thumb. I also find the CTOOM extension on the left of the camera (seen from the back) acts as a more effective auxiliary grip than the usual attachments on the right end of the camera.
Hey Doug,

thanks! Cool idea. As far as I can see, CTOOMs are very affordable. Let's see...

Best regards,
Frank

I really don't like external finders with the exception of my Bessa R I don't use them. For wide angle lenses, my favorites, I just guage what should be in the middle of the frame and adjust accordingly. On the other hand, I can seem to get comfortable with a hand held meter. If it were me I would ditch the finder and just use the meter. Give it a try.

I really don't like external finders with the exception of my Bessa R I don't use them. For wide angle lenses, my favorites, I just guage what should be in the middle of the frame and adjust accordingly. On the other hand, I can seem to get comfortable with a hand held meter. If it were me I would ditch the finder and just use the meter. Give it a try.
Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply.

Your approach is interesting. For me however, it would be a major paradigm shift.

My photog life began when I got my first SLR. I had many, both 35mm and 120. Using an SLR ment I could compose every frame with utmost accuracy, which I enjoyed.

When I added rangefinders to my gear, I took that for granted.

Maybe it's time to reconsider.

Best regards,
Frank

Hello Jan,

thank you.

Using a longer adapter would sure be the logical solution. But do you know any manufacturer who makes these? I only know the Voigtländer, which took ages to find, and the KEKS which looks even narrower.

Best regards,
Frank
Frank, you can take a look on the one I linked: Double Shoe | Leica M Cameras
it's 3D printed and made in the USA so you should be able to get your hands on one quickly.

Frank, you can take a look on the one I linked: Double Shoe | Leica M Cameras
it's 3D printed and made in the USA so you should be able to get your hands on one quickly.
Jan,

thanks again for the tip. I ordered one adapter, got it today and it is exactly what I needed. The manufacturer even said this new version comes with enhanced quality.

Have a very nice day!

Best,
Frank

Problem solved!

Got myself a 3d-printed wider double shoe adapter from the US. Now my finder and meter can be used alongside. See attachment.

For anybody out there who has a similar problem, please visit:

Alex does excellent work.

Best,
Frank

Attachments

• 20240117_191702.jpg
    20240117_191702.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 8
Back