Leica M6 0.72 and Voigtlander 21mm f4

romainmassola

Local time
1:01 AM
I’m getting a Voigtlander Color Skopar 21mm f4 for my M6 but unfortunately it won’t come with a viewfinder.
I’ll do without until I find one at an affordable price and I’m wondering what is the field of view compared to the full 0.72 viewfinder of a M6 ? How much is missing ?

21 is most natural focal length I ever used. It just how I see. VF absence isn't big deal.

On my M5 (also 0.72 magnification but with extra framelines added), the 28mm framelines are right up near the edges of the viewfinder. As a glasses wearer, I can barely see them, and not without moving my eyes around. So based on that, I'd say the full viewfinder is slightly wider than 28mm, but probably doesn't reach 24mm.

I have the same combination and it works well enough for me. I don’t wear glasses, so when I look through the viewfinder my area of attention matches the 28mm framelines, but if I look around I can see to about 24mm. It’s not elegant and I do prefer using an external viewfinder, but it’s not impossible to get an approximate view if you’re not too picky about a little cropping to fine tune your framing.

I can't stand external VFs, I have one for my 21 and use it when I have to but for the most part I just frame what I want in the middle of the picture and have at it. I usually crop to 11x14 anyway so it isn't a big loss.

I have the same combination and it works well enough for me. I don’t wear glasses, so when I look through the viewfinder my area of attention matches the 28mm framelines, but if I look around I can see to about 24mm. It’s not elegant and I do prefer using an external viewfinder, but it’s not impossible to get an approximate view if you’re not too picky about a little cropping to fine tune your framing.

Same combination as the OP, or same combination of M5 with 28mm framelines added...?

I’m getting a Voigtlander Color Skopar 21mm f4 for my M6 but unfortunately it won’t come with a viewfinder.
I’ll do without until I find one at an affordable price and I’m wondering what is the field of view compared to the full 0.72 viewfinder of a M6 ? How much is missing ?

A fair bit.

I often frame a 28mm using the full 0.72 finder on my M2, and it neatly takes up the whole viewfinder. So more or less everything from 21mm - 28mm will be missing (which is quite a bit).

This may or may not be an issue, depending on how you like to frame a scene, but it's definitely going to be a factor to consider.

The Bessa R4 brochure comes to rescue:

1VidDM.png

Back