Leica M6 Reverse Panda

EddieJ

Local time
7:44 AM
Hi all

Hope you all are well wherever you are in the world.

This has come across my path and thought I’d ask whether anyone has heard, or seen in the wild an M6 Anti | Reverse Panda.
Unique to the OG Panda I’m thinking, yay or nay, maybe …….. serial number 1714139 checks in as a 1987 build Silver of 4000.

I suspect a Frankenstein, body has bumpers, has some zinc bubbling *as on top plate, has a blacked out front LEICA M6 & top plate script ERNST LEITZ WETZLAR GMBH, Leitz red logo. Accessory plate is silver.IMG_4564.jpeg.358cf6b09c988f2edebfd7e5f6b1aac9.jpegIMG_4567.jpeg.8d5c60f7b6cc6c891dbc20e13967139a.jpegIMG_4566.jpeg.a7afa812fc421090f7e3fdb62a02a9ac.jpegIMG_4565.jpeg.44cb3d227372af3ec310229f210d21e9.jpeg

the translated tonal hue of this image could be indeed this:
(or: it maybe can be done – but should it?)

Attachments

• Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg
    Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 1
It has definitely had parts replaced. The 1987 manufacture date makes it an original M6 but that is a TTL shutter speed knob - the TTL was introduced in 1998.

When I used M6s for work I had one fixed after I fell on it and it came back with a total hodge hodge of original, TTL and other parts. When I asked Leica about that they said that those parts were what they had, and given that I had asked for the fastest repair possible they just used them.

A original chrome with black replacement top and bottom plates.

Shutter speed dial doesn't have OFF, so doesn't appear to be a TTL dial...

A original chrome with black replacement top and bottom plates.

Shutter speed dial doesn't have OFF, so doesn't appear to be a TTL dial...
Isn't it the larger diameter dial though? It looks a lot bigger than my M6. Let me go look.

Hmm. Looks like I'm wrong about the TTL parts. But it's definitely either a black camera that has had new chrome parts added, or a chrome camera with black top and bottom plate.

I also thought it looked like a TTL dial. I had a new M6 classic during that time, and the shutter speed dial looked smaller. So maybe very late M6 (just before the TTL) had a larger dial?

I also thought it looked like a TTL dial. I had a new M6 classic during that time, and the shutter speed dial looked smaller. So maybe very late M6 (just before the TTL) had a larger dial?
I'm not sure. The shutter speed dial on this camera is much bigger than my M6 dial, but the M6 TTL dial almost reaches the front edge. Maybe it's a black vs chrome difference? I don't have a chrome M6.

RFF random choice photo is very helpful: Photo: Leica M6 TTL | By: raindog61 | | rangefinderforum.com this is a chrome TTL.

Last edited:
For a reasonable price I'd buy it.
Yep.
I had a hold, to the eye same as my 1985 build M6, and a curious take on the well-known and documented M6 Panda. A brief introduction to LEICA "Panda" rangefinder camera models, 1992~1994 - MIR Image Library

I was in two minds, for the same money, I got this instead with an exact record of its provenance.

Back