Leica M8.2 - problem with shutter or sensor?

Georgiy Romanov

stray cat
Local time
10:29 PM
Good day for everyone!

A friend of mine have an issue with his M8.2 camera. Last month he make a picture and saw strange horisontal line in top left corner of the image

0_c8454_8657ef8b_XL.jpg

He don't make any notice for that untill situation repeated yesterday. Almost indentical line was founded again but in other place of the shot.

0_c8453_fc4727a6_XL.jpg

Both images was made on 1/30th of the second in cold weather (-10c). Right now images from camera looks nice and clean.

What it can be? Shutter dies or sensor? I listen your thoughts about this problem.

Georgiy.

Low temperatures do strange things to sensor. If it takes normal pictures now, there's probably no long-term damage. I would avoid <0C conditions with the camera, though.

point source edge flare on M8

point source edge flare on M8

The black streaks are from "point source edge flare" ie bright lights on the image edge, particularly at night. Though I have managed to replicate quite easily in daylight. They manifest as thick dark bands...really not white light like real flare.

So to stop this problem don't have bright lights on the frame edges. Other camera sensors have this problem too sometimes.

Although I live in a warm climate (Australia) this problem, I'm sure, is nothing to do with camera use temperatures.

cheers Dave S :)

A known problem of the M8. They all do that.
Good day for everyone!

A friend of mine have an issue with his M8.2 camera. Last month he make a picture and saw strange horisontal line in top left corner of the image

0_c8454_8657ef8b_XL.jpg

He don't make any notice for that untill situation repeated yesterday. Almost indentical line was founded again but in other place of the shot.

0_c8453_fc4727a6_XL.jpg

Both images was made on 1/30th of the second in cold weather (-10c). Right now images from camera looks nice and clean.

What it can be? Shutter dies or sensor? I listen your thoughts about this problem.

Georgiy.

Yes, as David says it looks like some kind of flare. Weird stuff :D Good news for my friend and not so for me because i really like to shot in back light :p .

Back