Leica M8 - It's official!

Mark Norton

Well-known
Local time
5:52 PM
While checking through the box my lenses came back from coding in, SWMBO discovered a pink envelope containing a leaflet in 6 languages which confirms the name of the Leica digital M as "Leica M8".

"Notes on using Leica M lenses with 6-bit code on analog and digital Leica M cameras

Type Marking

This Leica M lens is equipped with a 6-bit barcode marking on its bayonet flange for use on the digital LEICA M8. This marking enables digital M models to detect the type of lens attached by using the sensors in the camera's bayonet flange.

The LEICA M8 writes the lens information it has read to the EXIF file and uses this for processor-aided optimization of image quality. This code also allows the focal length of the lens to be displayed in the camera monitor.

This Leica M lens can also be used on Leica M models up to the LEICA M7.

Supplement to the tips on lens care for type-marked Leica M lenses

Ensure that you do not apply too much grease to the bayonet flange and especially that you leave the lens code area ungreased, otherwise residues of grease might become lodged in the recess, allowing more dirt to accumulate. This could ultimately impair the legibility of the code and consequently the camera functions of the LEICA M8."

Leica M8 - Welcome to our World!

I guess it would have been difficult for Leica to call it anything else if they want the 'M8' to be the next logical upgrade of the M series of rangefinders, however, I do hope they still continue with the MP.

I like how they reference 'digital Leica M cameras' and 'digital M models'. The M8 apparently is not alone. I wonder what other M-compatable digital cameras they have up their sleeve?

Honus said:
I like how they reference 'digital Leica M cameras' and 'digital M models'. The M8 apparently is not alone. I wonder what other M-compatable digital cameras they have up their sleeve?
The digital MP4 LHSA or M8 Titanium;) ?

I just am chuckling at the name.. only now too.. sheesh.. I'm slow.. I can see the advertising slogan now...
"The new Leica Mate is great!!" ;)

(M8 get it??)

snickering,
Dave

That might yet force a late name change, but think of those thousands of top covers engraved "M8" and the manuals which would need to be pulped.

Pulped? I think not! Auctioned off to collectors :D

Actually I think Leica should include it as part of the a la carte menu. If you want, you can have yours engraved with the 2-character nomenclature of your choosing :D

The part that surprised me:

Ensure that you do not apply too much grease to the bayonet flange...

Gee, despite past ownership of a Leica CL, M4-2, M4-P, and M3, I never realized that greasing the bayonet flange was an expected part of owner maintenance. Maybe that's why my pictures were never as good as Elliot Erwitt's...

For you Leica cognoscenti:

-- Is there a special Leica grease you're supposed to use, or can you use generic grease? If so, what weight and rating?

-- Should it be applied via a grease gun, white-gloved fingertip, or something in between?

Why does it surprise you? Leica lens instruction manuals suggest rubbing the tiniest amount of vaseline into the lens bayonet ring. Most people will overdo it. A pin-head is enough. This latest comment is just the normal German thoroughness.

Yes, I think you can! No official announcement yet but I think the leaflet that came back with my converted lenses is probably being included in new lens production. It's the same size as the lens boxes... 10 * 10 cm.

dcsang said:
I just am chuckling at the name.. only now too.. sheesh.. I'm slow.. I can see the advertising slogan now...
"The new Leica Mate is great!!" ;)

(M8 get it??)

snickering,
Dave
Given the (likely) price of the body alone, I think "M8/Mate" is a good choice... I'm betting there will be not a few divorces resulting form purchases! :D

The price that's being banded about - 4000 Euros - is only 600 Euros more than the RRP of the M7 in Europe. This is _much_ less than I was expecting. If this is the correct price one or two partnerships may be saved ;-)

Last edited:
c.poulton said:
I guess it would have been difficult for Leica to call it anything else if they want the 'M8' to be the next logical upgrade of the M series of rangefinders, however, I do hope they still continue with the MP.
They might even retain the M7 for a while, as well. I believe the M6 was still alive for a while after introduction of the M7. Of course, ICBW.

I would think that they would have digital and film body lines at the same time. That is interesting about the "digital models" plural thing. Maybe just a nod to the different VF magnifications. Panisonic and Leica do a lot together, I wonder if p-sonic would comeout with a 1.6 crop camera and try to fight the Zeiss dRF and the RD-1 while leaving the high end to Leica? Just an idea, not a very good one.

I'd be more impressed with the lens coding if the sensor would bend or something depending on the lens.

Mark

Mark Norton said:
Yes, I think you can! No official announcement yet but I think the leaflet that came back with my converted lenses is probably being included in new lens production. It's the same size as the lens boxes... 10 * 10 cm.

Yes, I was told that the leaflets with new boxed lenses call "it" the M8.

Bob.

Honus said:

I wonder weather there will be an M8D and an MPD? M8D would be in the mould of the M7/R-D1 offering auto shutter and LCD playback, MPD would just be a sensor, processor, storage and battery in an otherwise all manual body. ISO dial on the back sets the sensitivity, manual dial shows the space left on the card. No LCD, no quality/white balance controls (who would not shoot RAW on such a camera?).

Robin Harrison said:
I wonder weather there will be an M8D and an MPD? M8D would be in the mould of the M7/R-D1 offering auto shutter and LCD playback, MPD would just be a sensor, processor, storage and battery in an otherwise all manual body. ISO dial on the back sets the sensitivity, manual dial shows the space left on the card. No LCD, no quality/white balance controls (who would not shoot RAW on such a camera?).

Why is there a need to emphasize 'manual' & 'glory of the film days' when it is a digital camera that we're talking about..?

anselwannab said:
I'd be more impressed with the lens coding if the sensor would bend or something depending on the lens.

Mark
That is a cool idea. I can see one of those Panasonic linear micro motors at each sensor corner and some dedicated photo sites to give a read out for TTL alignment calibrations to stop the motors at the right bend. It would probably work better on a 35mm size sensor, too. :angel:

Back