Leica M9 with Cintar 5cm 3.5 (for ARGUS)

There are several posts online on using adapters with some digital cameras. Using Brian's "surgery results" made this lens behave as if it had the M mount. Some posts online say that the lens is soft at 3.5, but my lens is a sharp lens.

Most of the adapters I have come across say they are for the "Brick" lenses, Raid, but in reality are for the C-44 lenses, which are not as good as the Cintars and Sandmars. I'd love to be able to use my Soligor 135mm on either an LTM or M camera, and would then be able to adapt those mounts to Nikon Z.

PF

I also have an Argus C44. Why do you view its lenses as being inferior? I have never before heard of lenses by Sandmars.

I also have an Argus C44. Why do you view its lenses as being inferior? I have never before heard of lenses by Sandmars.

You can find lots of information at http://www.arguscg.org/ The Sandmars were 35mm and 100mm f4.5's that were added to the C body line, and were manufactured in Germany by Enna Werk, Munich. I got much better results with the C-3 and C-4 (Modified, C-4R) lenses than with the C-44 lenses. Of course, when one is involved in using old lenses and cameras certain factors may affect the image quality, but from what I saw it was immediately obvious the C-44 lenses just don't cut it. But I only own one set of them, so there might be some nice ones out there.

PF

You can find lots of information at http://www.arguscg.org/ The Sandmars were 35mm and 100mm f4.5's that were added to the C body line, and were manufactured in Germany by Enna Werk, Munich. I got much better results with the C-3 and C-4 (Modified, C-4R) lenses than with the C-44 lenses. Of course, when one is involved in using old lenses and cameras certain factors may affect the image quality, but from what I saw it was immediately obvious the C-44 lenses just don't cut it. But I only own one set of them, so there might be some nice ones out there.

PF

I may be mixing up modified Geiss versus C44 lenses. Thanks for the link.

I may be mixing up modified Geiss versus C44 lenses. Thanks for the link.

Yeah, it can be quite confusing sometimes when delving into the Argus system of cameras and lenses. They would make subtle changes that sometimes you don't realize they exist until you see some mention in an article or database. Anyway, I think I've solved the C-3 screw mount adapter issue. This seller on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/sch/ramir73/m....r73|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71970 has numerous variations of adapters, and I can get a C-3 to M4/3, then put that on an M4/3 to Nikon Z. Easy peasy.

PF

The Cintar 50mm f/3.5 is not a copy of the Elmar, but both are derived from the Cooke Triplet formula, if I recall correctly.

Very nice images from a unique lens, Raid.

The Cintar 50mm f/3.5 is not a copy of the Elmar, but both are derived from the Cooke Triplet formula, if I recall correctly.

Very nice images from a unique lens, Raid.

Thank you very much. I had the option to use the new CV 50/1 or the old Cintar 50/3.5, and at times, I preferred using the Cintar over the massive CV.
So it is then not a copy of the Elmar. Thanks for the information.

Yeah, it can be quite confusing sometimes when delving into the Argus system of cameras and lenses. They would make subtle changes that sometimes you don't realize they exist until you see some mention in an article or database. Anyway, I think I've solved the C-3 screw mount adapter issue. This seller on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/sch/ramir73/m....r73|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l71970 has numerous variations of adapters, and I can get a C-3 to M4/3, then put that on an M4/3 to Nikon Z. Easy peasy.

PF

Good to know about this ebay seller. Thank you. I could get such an adapter and then use my other (few) lenses for the Argus.

I have Argus lenses too. I remember using them on the C3, C4 (or C44?). Surprising performers on film. I have told many people not to laugh at the brick (C3) and give it a chance.

I'm no longer interested in using my Argus cameras like I used to be. But, I would certainly welcome some way to use the lens(es) on my M9. I didn't see an adapter for that...and I'm not sure I would be able to make an adapter such as Brian's.

In order to get RF coupling in a Leica you need a custom adapter similar to what Brian has made. Using a camera with Live View gives more options.

Back