Leica Monochrom and Jacob Aue Sobol...

Well there'r some good and some not so good pictures - to me. People are different and like different things, but ... Using flash with pushed contrast wont convince me in the uniqueness of that leica. I think he could have done that witch pretty much every digital camera

You’re missing the point. Leica is not showing megapixels, lack of noise etc. in their marketing shots. They can safely leave that to reviewers and users who will be more believable than an ad anyway. They give their camera to a photographer of note and tell the world : “ See what this guy can do with it. Now go out, buy it and do your own thing”

As to Sobol’s work, my initial reaction was quite skeptical. But a number of his images are haunting and I cannot get them out of my mind. And they should be seen and judged printed large, not on a computer screen.

Considering the discussions I've read on how easy it is to blow the highlights totally with the M9M frequent chimping doesn't seem too out of line with a camera you're still getting used to IMO.

When I saw his photos on LFI I thought he could have used any digicam for that end product. So what is the point of the MM? I want to see photo from the MM that showcases its uniqueness whatever it is I am confused now. I am strictly a b/w film shooter and I really want a digital camera that can give me that certain film look but is this it? I don't see it.

Same here. I've found no film-like unique-ness in the M9M images, just an improvement on what the M9 sensor gave.
Perhaps Leica are using Sobol and his images to try and impress upon potential buyers that it does have such unique qualities.

Has Leica promised "film-like uniqueness" in the M9M?

I like the video and especially the work. His stories and the way they are processed goes hand in hand, IMO.
I see the video as "you can use the MM, however you want to use it".

This shows my main point against the camera. Black and white images pumped up on steroids in post processing. There is no film "signature".

Has Leica promised "film-like uniqueness" in the M9M?

Well that was my interpretation of Leica's statements surrounding the camera. YMMV

"Countless iconic black-and-white photographs have been shot with the legendary cameras of the Leica M-System. So it was time for a camera to continue this tradition and finally make it possible to deliver authentic monochrome photography in digital form: the Leica M Monochrom. It is the first full-frame, 35 mm format digital camera to be designed exclusively and without any compromises for black-and-white photography. It delivers ‘true' black-and-white images in unrivalled sharpness and dynamic range. This makes the M Monochrom the perfect camera for anyone with a passion for black-and-white photography."

Agree with the positives... some great images for sure, strong and graphic. I haven't watched the video yet, but I do agree that it's a neat idea to put the camera in the hands of an obviously talented photographer and watch them make it their own. That's the idea, isn't it? To do your thing with the tools, not to do the tools' thing.

I am a bit confused. The images are cool and all, but no one at Leica or Magnum thinks his images look a little Anders Petersen? By a little I mean exact clones, like some of the shots look like they're intentional copies of AP.

Different photographers may have different preferences in how to create images.
I am unimpressed by the images shown.
I had higher expectations of the B&W Leica camera.

This shows my main point against the camera. Black and white images pumped up on steroids in post processing. There is no film "signature".

Of course not. This is a digital camera which produces digital files. I happen to prefer digital over film nowadays.

I enjoyed the Gallery. Some of the images are now etched on my eyes and emotions. His style for this set at least is imo very effective. Camera shmamera... the images are great!

Overprocessed, overprocessed, overprocessed? Why? This is the look he's used for years- were they overprocessed when he shot them on film? Style is style- film or digital.

Even I am intrigued by the MM. Combined with the DeVere digital enlarger I might even make the move. And I've been a diehard B&W film shooter. The more I shoot RAW the more I think it is better.

Back