Leica Monochrome vs. Fuji X-Pro2

Leica Monochrome vs. Fuji X-Pro2

I've owned X-Pro1, X-Pro2, MMv1 (twice, once when it was launched in 2012, and I bought a brand new old-stock recently), M240, and also own an MP that I use with B&W film.

I love the MMv1. I sold the X-Pro2 and all my Fuji glass to re-purchase it. There's just something about those files. I also wrote many reviews on the MMv1 some years ago that is on my website.

The X-Pro2's files doesn't come close in my opinion.

I use the MMv1 with Zeiss ZM glass now (which I also use on the MP with film). Previously I've basically tried about every lens in the Leica catalog with my Leica bodies, but these Zeiss lenses are actually some of my absolute favorites, especially on the MMv1. The Biogon 35/2 on the MMv1 is much more appealing than the Summicron 35 ASPH for example. The same goes with the 35/1.4 Lux FLE. Non-aspherical lenses looks great on film and the MMv1. I can't speak of the MM246 as I generally never had interested in it. I had an M240 that I liked, but never was a big fan of, but I mostly only used it for color, and shot B&W film on my MP instead of using the digital files for B&W.

Finding a "brand new" MMv1 with full warranty and everything a couple of months ago was great! I simply love the results from this B&W CCD sensor.

Cool to see that you're back with an MM1. Over the years, I have read your related website essays and thread comments (and traded a few messages with you). I finally got one a few months ago, also a new old-stock, and I love it. It puts an end to several years, post-M8, when I experimented wildly with cameras (e.g., M9, M6, M7, Sony Rx1r, Ricoh GR4 and GR, Fuji X100t). The MM1 is a solid basic camera, with wonderful rangefinder functionality and (for my purposes) the best sensor ever.

The search is over!

same here....MM1>M240>M246, plus a Fuji & Sony detour, and now back to MM1 again.

I love the MM1 files...there's nothing quite like them

There is a company that sells "converted to BW" Fuji x pros. Those are the cameras to compare to a monochrom. It means the sensors don´t have color filters so it´s much more sensitive to black and white.
Those sensors are not about simulating film. Those sensors are the best possible black and white captured image. It´s a different ball game.
I saw a converted Fujixpro1 selling for 2.5k us dollars. Way more expensive than a "color" xpro2.

The monochrom is a different concept of image build. It´s not a conversion. Not a simulation.

I see. I sometimes consider selling my MM and going with an X-Pro2, mainly for the flexibility. I occasionally shoot color and sometimes value AF and live view. And I definitely prefer the X-Pro's ergonomics.

From what I've read, X-Pro2 image quality is about the same as it's predecessor. Presumably, B&W conversions would be about the same. Looking forward to hearing any real experiences with both.

John

I have experience with the X-Pro 1 and X-Pro 2. I find the X-Pro 2's perceived image quality to be significantly better than the X-Pro 1's. I use X-Pro 2 raw files for color work up to ISO 3200.

Empirical data that compares these cameras are published.

In terms of analog dynamic range the

M Monochrome Type 246 > X-Pro 2 > X-Pro 1 ≊ M Monochrome (data)

The data for sensor read noise levels is more complicated.

The X-Pro 1 (XE-1 and X-Pro 1 are both XTrans I) is better than the X-Pro 2 ( XTrans III) until ISO 640. Above 640 the X-Pro 2 is significantly better. These differences are because the Xtrans III sensors use dual-conversion gain technology.(1)

The M Monochrome has more read noise than the M Monochrome Type 246.

The read noise data are not normalized for sensor area differences. The XTrans and Leica results are not directly comparable

The low light sensitivity vs sensor area data show the Type 246 has about a 2 2/3 EV advantage over the M Monochrome. The Type 246 is also about 2/3 EV more sensitive than XTrans III sensors.

The chart must be zoomed and simplified by brand to see these data clearly.

1. Below ISO 800 the photo-diode electronics are optimized for dynamic range at the expense of sensitivity. Above ISO 640 the electronics are optimized for sensitivity at the expense of dynamic range.

Update from the original poster:

Instead of the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246), I decided to buy the Leica M10. Regretfully, the M10 I bought was so defective that I had to return it to the seller.

I then decided to buy the Fuji X-Pro2. The XP2 performed so well that it replaced my XP1 as my favorite digital camera.

However, instead of trying to use the M10, the X-Pro2, or the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) for black & white images, I decided to get a Mamiya RB67 medium format SLR film camera to use with the two Fuji medium format film rangefinders that I already owned. These three cameras give me the black & white image quality that I desire.

Thanks to all for the valuable information.

Medium Format Kit by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Back