Leica MP spring reverb

Is your MP black? Maybe the sound would be dampened a little in a brass top cover chrome MP. The M2 with take up spool doesn’t make this sound. The spring is much smaller and compressed. The M5, the musical Leica, makes a similar but louder sound with the meter arm jumping into position and vibrating briefly. I only have these three to test. I am over 60 and losing hearing so if I can hear it in my M6 and on your recording it’s real. And trivial. Enjoy you new camera. If you really can’t put up with it, trade up to the top of the range equivalent of Leica’s latest release film M (the MA) that is a button rewind M2. It doesn’t have that noise and is smoother and more refined than any of your more recent Leicas.

Again, such a camera has to be flawless. Contact Leica Store Austria, top notch products should sound right (no matter whether it is actually a defect or not). Just look at premium cars, even slaming the door should sound right (not to mention the engine etc.). IMO you are right, something is off.

Is your MP black? Maybe the sound would be dampened a little in a brass top cover chrome MP.

Does sound like a spring tension vibration in a hollow cavity, and yea a brass top plate would dampen (at least not exaggerate) such a sound occurrence. I bet you can't hear that out in the streets of Brooklyn, therefore I wouldn't hear if mine does that. Glad I don't own a stethoscope.

My M6 has it. I only hear it once on your recording, first wind. Sounded like the sound of a camera being cocked with no film in it. Sounds healthy. Sounds normal. Get Harry the K to send you that partially wasted roll of Tri-X and waste a couple more frames. Bet you don’t hear it. Might not happen when your camera has film in it. I’ll bet you it is the spring in the take-up spool tulip. That should sound like a spring.

This sort of thing is what happens when you pay top dollar for brand new latest model top of the range. Was the outer box torn or dented? Has this really had the VF upgrade? What if this is a return by someone who really knows Leica and I’m being sold a pup? And do I just put up with this? I wish I’d never bought it. I don’t really need it.

Scratch the baseplate or something to break it in. Oops, you could not remove the plastic covering. Etc

Richard, you nailed it! I put a roll of film in it, closed down the aperture, put the lens cap on, set the shutter to 1/1000 and I test fired the entire roll in my darkroom. The rattle is completely gone! Thank you so much, you saved my tormented soul!

Also, many thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, I am truly grateful for each reply. Now I can really enjoy my new camera!

If a spring in a Leica goes boing and you don't hear it, does it make a sound?

I understand your point very well. I think Leicas have their "personality". The back door of one of my M6 makes a slight popping sound when pressed. The other M6 does not. The MP does it, but slightly less. However, all three work very well. Obviously, it would have been great not to have the rattling sound, but I'm hesitant to send it for warranty for such a trivial issue. Do you still think I should?

That’s great! I also notice a difference when operating my M6 with film inserted. It does add a certain feel/density during operation - especially (obviously) during film advancement.

Good suggestion by Richard G!

Since my MPs don't go boing without film in them, does that mean their take-up spool springs are defective?

Since my MPs don't go boing without film in them, does that mean their take-up spool springs are defective?

Maybe someone can start a service to restore the factory original empty chamber tulip spring boing sound. Bit of WD-40. Which will lead to new threads on never before seen spots on negatives mostly at the beginning of the roll…..

After the roll of Tri-X is finished, I´ll try again. It´s like in a marriage: After living together for 17 years, finding new aspects of a personality is amazing and rewarding.

I understand your point very well. I think Leicas have their "personality". The back door of one of my M6 makes a slight popping sound when pressed. The other M6 does not. The MP does it, but slightly less. However, all three work very well. Obviously, it would have been great not to have the rattling sound, but I'm hesitant to send it for warranty for such a trivial issue. Do you still think I should?

If it were my Leica MP, I would send it in to confirm that it is operating properly, and that the boing sound is normal, if that is really the case. I believe you have a two year warranty, so it would be prudent to act within that time frame. Of course, different people have different levels of tolerance for boing sounds in cameras which cost $5695.

If it were my Leica MP, I would send it in to confirm that it is operating properly, and that the boing sound is normal, if that is really the case. I believe you have a two year warranty, so it would be prudent to act within that time frame. Of course, different people have different levels of tolerance for boing sounds in cameras which cost $5695.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. For the moment, I think I'll keep the camera and use it thoroughly. Who knows, maybe I'll discover more imperfections - in that case, the required trip to Leica would solve more than just the rattle. Again, thank you all for your help.

There's a more significant, and louder boing in photography and that's mounting a lens on a V series Hasselblad. This has to be done accurately and decisively in case you trip a locking up of the camera and have a lens that gets uncocked inadvertently. You check that the film is wound on so that the body is cocked and ready to mount a lens that is also cocked. Then you place the lens in the maw of the lens mount and ensure it's all the way in and parallel to the mount and then you decisively rotate clockwise looking for the click and stop and boing of arrival at proper engagement. That boing is a sweet reverberation of a lot of mechanics in the camera and/or perhaps even the lens and is the opposite of unsettling. It is reassuring. Again, totally normal vibration in a large complex device.

Back