Leica on TV or the movies :)

Foyle's War, PBS, Masterpiece Mystery, about 10 days ago, Leica IIIc I think, guy was snapping documents during WWII, and the camera even had film in it, yes, I slowed down the broadcast and zoomed in, just as any normal person would. Chrome was nice though. I think an F2 lens.

Details in this five year series have seemed to add to the overall look and feel of the programs, and they are just plain well done.

In Bridges, I thought I remembered some Leicas in the bag as well. Clint has big hands, maybe he could not use a Leica?

Now I know I am talking to myself, Jeopardy had two references this week to cameras, in the first, they found out no one knew what a TLR was, the second was the year of a famous Eisie shot with the name of the guy who was kissing the nurse, they all got it.

Any movie with Julia Roberts married to Ed Harris and shooting with a Blad and Leica cannot be considered a bad movie.

There's this pretty well-known movie about a Russian submarine... Can't remember it's name. At a certain point they are at the north pole, posing on the ice for a group picture, taken with either a zorki or a fed I. Not a leica, but a leica clone at least.

It's K19 The Widowmaker, with Harrison Ford (with a funny Russian accent) and Liam Neeson. I just watched it again and spotted the Barnack clone in that scene when they surface in the North Pole and take a photo of the crew playing football. I believe the camera is a Fed.

in burn after reading, the latest coen movie, rather at the end, when clooney gets very paranoid, there is a shooter, you can just see him less than a second but i thought that it was a leica

anyone saw that?

However, regrettably the guy is sporting a Contax G2 on the movie poster..
eurotrip.jpg

By Jove, you're right.

Spy Game with Brad Pit.

Brad Pits character goes under cover as a photo journalist shooting a chrome m3 with a powerwinder (if I'm not mistaken) for "journalistic" shots and a nikon slr for telephoto shots. Have to say, he was using both like he actually knew what he was doing.

I just saw Elegy with Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz. Kingsley takes portraits of Cruz with a Leica SLR. He plays a university professor who becomes obsessed with a student. I thought it was quite a good film. There's a darkroom scene, Cruz's second since Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

Hi all

First post, long time lurker.

Has anyone here seen Coraline, the new (3D, as in with the pola glasses) animation from Henry Selick? There's a scene in it with an M3 - looked like a really detailed model of it too. And the best bit? There's a POV shot through the viewfinder and yep, we have the rounded framelines. Smashing!

Talking of cameras in animations, I loved the TLRs in The Incredibles too...

al'

"Children of Huang Shi"

In the first 40 minutes or so the main character is working as a journalist in China during 1938 pre WWII. He travels to Nanjing to report on the war and winds up photographing Japanese soldiers killing civilians with what looks like a Leica II or III - I'm not very good with pre-M cameras so maybe somebody else can spot it. There are several scenes, however, where the main character is taking photograhs with this camera.

pirate radio

very brief appearances of leica m3, hasselblad, and contax or nikon rf

lots of good music and a positive message, entertaining, fluffy, won't make your head hurt

Just watched Julie and Julia. An OK but not great movie, I think, but there are two scenes of Paul Child taking photos of Julia. The first is a quick shot from behind Stanley Tucci and he's shooting some RF camera. The second is longer and Stanley/Paul is shooting photos with a Rollie TLR of Julia and the chicken she is cooking. Jarred on me some as the camera clearly doesn't have any film in it...
Rob

A tv commercial, Channel no5. parfume...An express train going from Paris to Istanbul. A nice lady admiring a man follows him after they get off the train in Istanbul. She tries to take a shot of him with her M8 with Noctilux on it!!

The thing is she focuses like it is DSLR and the distance was so big for 50mm lens... :)

Back