Leica LTM Leica Screw Mount Conversions - Show Yours

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
This one just returned from service.

Beautiful Leica II that started out as a Leica IA in 1929.

The tech estimates the conversion took placed in the first half of 1933.
The lens is original as it does not have a serial number. It also have the slightly shorter barrel, typical of converted Elmars. The focusing tab has stamped a "3", which means that the real focal length is 48.6mm.
The only thing remaining from the original camera, besides the serial number, is the optical assembly. The rest is replaced, which makes you wonder about the economical sense it made to send it to the factory to have it "converted" rather than just buying a new Leica II and sell the old Leica IA.

51687263867_e8d7b8502e_b.jpg

Leica_II_Heliar_Nickel.png

Leica I no. 11378 converted to a Leica III.

This was bought as a 'fake Leica' in Berlin a few years back. It had an Elmar 50mm 3.5 and a 35-135 viewfinder attached. It was petty cash.

The chrome is not Leitz, it is a lot less good and flakey. The shutter button, the strap lugs and bottom plate lock are still nickel.
My assessment: it has been factory upgraded to a black Leica III prior to 1955 and has later been non-factory upgraded to a chrome camera once the black paint wore off, possibly by the same repairer that fitted the non-factory flash contact. This may have been once the Iron Curtain was built so sending it to West-Germany was either expensive or impossible.

It works like a charm, very smooth.

An extensive article is here: https://johanniels.com/an-early-leica-i-converted-to-a-iii/

In the last few months I have sold these two amongst loads of other stuff. I'm starting to enjoy selling but is getting harder and harder to choose what to sell next.

DSC02659 by dralowid, on Flickr

DSC02807 by dralowid, on Flickr

I wish you would offer them up to us first, I know I've asked you about a few of yours before! What did you get for these anyway?

With a few exceptions nowadays I only sell in the UK and by and large to people I have known awhile. I'll refrain from discussing money.

F371CAAF-05BD-4C53-A1AF-1F4294253EA7.jpeg Out and about with the Leih-Kamera plus a Nikkor 85mm

Attachments

• F371CAAF-05BD-4C53-A1AF-1F4294253EA7.jpeg
    F371CAAF-05BD-4C53-A1AF-1F4294253EA7.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 3
Very cool IIIc to IIIf - plus the self-timer! I only have black ones! I think the early II and IIIs in chrome are interesting as well... what's the deal with "bright chrome"? Is it really a different look?

This picture is shot with a Leica III and a very early - 1926-1928 - converted and coated Elmar 50mm f3.5. The conversion and the coating are from the early 1950's. The lens has no special markings, only a "7" or a "1" on the infinity lock. (I can't see the difference between the digit 1 and the digit 7).
The rendering is typical of the earliest version of the Elmar, the blurred corners are the giveaway. The mount is extremely short. I'm happy to have a perfect example - coated and without scratches - of one of the earliest Elmars.

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5 v1) leica lll

Erik.

52316571590_3855e5ff25_b.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	52316571590_3855e5ff25_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.6 KB ID:	4799570

My converted Leica II with well worn paint and nickel plated knobs. The metal filling in the engraving is still mostly intact and nice looking. This camera had a slightly dim rangefinder and slightly stiff shutter button when I bought it, so I sent it to a nearby repair shop for service. The rangefinder and shutter feel are much improved, but the shutter button still takes a bit more pressure than I like. Nonetheless it is still a great little shooter. Here fitted with my chrome Summar; this Summar was polished and coated by Yamazaki Optical last year.

52343194320_13fd757362_o.jpg
IMG_9358

52343007658_21d974590d_o.jpg
IMG_9357

Hi, I just picked up this 1930 Leica I that was converted to a III. I got it to go with my 1930 Franklin 145 Convertible Coupe.PXL_20230323_193820954.jpgPXL_20220609_184734135.jpg

Nice camera but the car is something else! I have never seen one in the UK (which bearing in mind its rarity is no surprise).

Is it air cooled? Were all Franklins air cooled?

Lovely car! The camera is an early post-war conversion of a model lll.

Erik.
Thanks, how can you tell that is is a post-war conversion? Is there something that they did differently post vs pre war?

Nice camera but the car is something else! I have never seen one in the UK (which bearing in mind its rarity is no surprise).

Is it air cooled? Were all Franklins air cooled?

Franklins were all air cooled and they were made between 1902-1934 in Syracuse New York, so I am not surprised that you have never seen one in the UK. I know that they were exported around the world so there are probably some near you but they are rare. The Franklin club says that there are only 2370 cars known to still exist in the world with a majority of them in the US.

Last edited:
Thanks, how can you tell that is is a post-war conversion? Is there something that they did differently post vs pre war?
Yes, the structure of the body-covering (the "vulcanite") is typical for post-war cameras (same as Leica M3) and also the logo and the lettering are clearly post war. There are many post-war conversions, usually a flash synch was installed too. This is a very nice one: black paint with a lllc style logo and no flash synch.

Erik.

Back