Leica SL - Half Cases, Recommended or not?

bherman

bherman
Local time
2:33 AM
All;

I just picked up a new Leica SL and was considering a half case, such as the Arte Di Mano. I have an M and never contemplated one, but I figured with the larger lenses on the SL, coupled with the fact that, (from what I've heard), the anodized finish on the SL is more prone to wear than (for example) my silver-chrome M240, I figured that I would look into it as an option.

My only concern is that the SL is sort of a large-ish body to begin with, so would it turn the SL into an ergonomic nightmare?

I'm looking for comments or folks who have a half case already, what they think of it?

Thanks!

-Brad

I recommend a shoulder bag and you put the camera into it after each subject.

I have tripped on sidewalk cracks and leaf covered tree roots and the camera is not subject to the risk of damage only partially covered by a half case.

Leica SL - Half Cases, Recommended or not?

So, for sure I will also use a shoulder bag. So, are you advocating the use of a half case for at least partial protection? I wasn't sure of where you were heading in the last sentence of your reply.

Thx!

-Brad

I recommend a shoulder bag and you put the camera into it ...
... when you're not taking pictures.

I agree.

A half case on the SL just makes it bulkier and gets in the way of using the controls fluidly. It doesn't protect much. I don't even use a neckstrap ... I put a wrist leash on the SL and leave it at that. It's in my hand when I'm using it, it's in the bag when I'm not.

I use a half case on my Leica M4-2 because it is thin and the case adds to the gripping surface to make it easier to handle. I used a case on my M9 and M-P 240 because they were somewhat slick in the hand, had limited gripping surface, and the case helped me hold them steadily.

I don't use a case on the M-D 262 or the SL because both have a lot of excellent gripping surface.

The finish on the SL is fine and durable, at least mine is. One and a half years of being used constantly and it still looks new.

G

If you are considering a bookbag style bag consider a Oberwerth because the bag I use is very much like a Domke 803 book bag, but larger to accommodate a rigged SL along with a second lens.

Cal

Having handled the SL, no way would I add a half case. As is it is large but great in the hands. The half case would throw off that balance and ruin the haptics.

Back