Leica SL LCD Protector

bherman

bherman
Local time
3:16 AM
All;

I own a Leica M240, which has a Gorilla Glass (similar to what's on the iPhone) cover on the LCD. I just purchased a Leica SL, and was told that it has the same 'Gorilla Glass' LCD cover, but I think that it does not, since it has to accommodate the touch screen. The touch screen isn't an absolute 'must' for me. I have heard from some forum members that the SL's LCD is fairly easy to scratch, and even one member said that the zipper pull on their jacket left an indent or impression on the LCD.

What have your experiences been? I mean, I did purchase the pack of two Leica LCD screen protector foils, but I'm afraid that they won't offer much in the way of protection. I would be willing to forfeit the touch screen in exchange for a more robust LCD protector.

What do you guys use?

Thanks!

-Brad

All;

I own a Leica M240, which has a Gorilla Glass (similar to what's on the iPhone) cover on the LCD. I just purchased a Leica SL, and was told that it has the same 'Gorilla Glass' LCD cover, but I think that it does not, since it has to accommodate the touch screen. The touch screen isn't an absolute 'must' for me. I have heard from some forum members that the SL's LCD is fairly easy to scratch, and even one member said that the zipper pull on their jacket left an indent or impression on the LCD.

What have your experiences been? I mean, I did purchase the pack of two Leica LCD screen protector foils, but I'm afraid that they won't offer much in the way of protection. I would be willing to forfeit the touch screen in exchange for a more robust LCD protector.

What do you guys use?

Thanks!

-Brad

Brad,

I installed one of those Leica protective foils around Labor Day last year, and I still have the second foil.

I was unaware of an alternative solution for protection. The touch screen is an interesting feature, but I too could live without it. Do you have more info on the Gorilla Glass protector? A part number would be great.

Cal

Cal;

My question was pertaining to whether or not a Gorilla Glass Protector was installed as 'standard' on the SL. I called a couple of Leica Stores, who explained that it is a hardened material, (but not Gorilla Glass) which is also scratch-resistant and a fingerprint resistant material. They claimed that they have loaned or rented the SL to photographers who have taken it all over the world - Iceland, Deserts and to beaches in the Caribbean, without a single mark or issue.

With that said, I measured the LCD screen with calipers, and it measures 75mm x 51mm, so you can try to find a hardened, tempered glass material is one is available.

-Brad

The SL's LCD cover glass is indeed a variant of gorilla glass; I checked with Leica support in Wetzlar on that and they confirmed it to me. Mine has been subjected to about a year and a half's worth of constant use and doesn't have a mark on it. (The touchscreen thing is not an issue ... Apple iPhones have gorilla glass and are certainly touchscreen technology.)

Never wear a camera around your neck if you wear things with metal buttons or zippers ... that's my rule. :D

I hate wearing the SL on a neck strap anyway ... it's a bit bulky for that and doesn't hang right because of the type and placement of the strap lugs. I just keep it on a wrist leash and stuff it in my bag when I'm not shooting with it.

G

Brad,

What Godfrey recommends about avoiding zippers and objects is a good idea.

What I did is I use the OEM neck strap that came with my SL, but I use it with the baseplate from a Nikon AH-4 hand strap to hang my SL vertically from the left side. I wear my neck strap with my left arm through the strap, and this allows me to avoid zippers, buttons and such. Also know that the SL is kinda tucked out of the way and is easy to protect.

Even with a heavy lens like the 24-90 zoom I can carry my SL all day. Yes it is a workout, but not uncomfortable. I find using the AH-4 baseplate keeps the camera from moving around and giving me a beating. My SL does not bounce around a lot. Bonus also is the strap serves as a harness to steady shots if you get the length correct for the ergonomics.

Cal

POSTSCRIPT: Know that I used some thread to sew the strap so it is no longer adjustable. It is now a "fixed" strap.

Back