Leica T "accidentally revealed"...

not one bit. without a built-in evf and a more usable interface, this camera is really only good for undemanding purposes.

a higher-end t-mount camera would be of interest because of the 23/2.

My feelings exactly.

Sorry but the price/cost is $2250 or $2850, depending on whither you can use it with M lens without/with the EVF, not $1850.

The experts are all weighing in and there's no shortage of opinion about the Leica brand, stigma, tradition, price, same old. Here's what we want to know: Do you want one? Is this the model that will convert you to Leica?

Absolutely not.

The T just supports my hypothesis Leica lacks the confidence to market a non-M, APS-C camera with a built-in finder (a high-quality EVF would be fine) you can rise up to your eye. This would be my minimum threshold to generate thoughts about converting to Leica.

The sensor area is not a concern. I really don't care that much about cost. Eventually other T-mount primes with traditional angles of view will appear. So the unusually slow, variable-aperture zoom lens is not even an issue.

PS Your film development/scanning service rock!

LOL! Tough crowd.

I'm not currently in the market. If they'd done a FF sensor in the first model, I would be (although that could always change). I suspect they're going there with the T line due to the size of the lens mounting flange ...

Overall, though, I like the design and the control concept a lot. I like the build quality and finish. I know Leica is far more likely to build upon the lens line in a sensible way than Sony ever is.

Call me "on the line" with the T. If they do a FF version down the line, I'll be one of the first pre-orders for it.

G

I agree Godfrey, Leica is much more likely to do a proper native lens lineup then Sony if u look at history of the Nex lineup. The dslr lineup doesn't count IMHO since they ended up w/ a lot if rebadged Minolta dslrs lenses.

Currently, I am still happy enough w/ my gxr setup and will wait to c what happens next.. Eventually this camera system may replace my gxr setup, only time will tell.

Gary

LOL! Tough crowd.

I'm not currently in the market. If they'd done a FF sensor in the first model, I would be (although that could always change). I suspect they're going there with the T line due to the size of the lens mounting flange ...

It appears the mouth can handle FF.

How that will work with their projected lens line-up....

If the current design of the lenses project a big enough image circle, probably not a problem... Otherwise the old fx/dx type solution that Nikon and Canon uses.

Gary

If the current design of the lenses project a big enough image circle, probably not a problem... Otherwise the old fx/dx type solution that Nikon and Canon uses.

Gary

Hardly likely. The entrance pupil of the 23 f2 is much small than what you'd need to project a 23mm f2 equivalent onto the FF area...These are APS-C lenses, and Leica will need a new lens line if they release a full frame T.

There seems to be a lot of over thinking the Leica T. It wasn't designed for the RFFer with M lenses. It was designed for the well heeled amateur who is comfortable holding a camera at arms length and requires seamless connectivity to social media for photo uploads. There are many, many people who fit that demographic to a T.
For the rest of us there are 3 current digital full frame M bodies to choose from. For those of us who want an M body but price is a little out of reach, why not just save a little longer?
Sorry if this seems like a rant but there just seems to be too much whining over what Leica is not "not doing"

The experts are all weighing in and there's no shortage of opinion about the Leica brand, stigma, tradition, price, same old. Here's what we want to know: Do you want one? Is this the model that will convert you to Leica?

No...But you are asking in the wrong forum :D

Most of the folks here (me included) are seasoned photographers. We train ourselves to use rangefinders and manual focus because we enjoy the experience. And for most of us, the decision to be "converted" to Leica (or not) was made a long time ago...I'm young enough that this means giving up on the M8, but there are plenty of RFFer's that remember Leica in the M3/M4 days, and maybe a few whos memory goes back further.

The T is meant for a different audience, one that does not have so much knowledge in photography, is acquainted with the Apple user experience.etc. I won't pay anything for a camera that I need to look at the rear screen to adjust parameters, but to some others this may be precisely what they want.

So there's a negative correlation here: spending time on RFF makes you less likely to consider the T...

I think what he meant is that you'd have to pay $2250 for proper M functionality (buying the adapter), and that to use a EVF the ticket price goes up another $600...

I'm sure there'll be third-party adapters pretty quickly, though.

Exactly!

From what I've seen and read so far there has been zero mention of the usability of camera without the EVF. Which goes the question of whither the EVF is an accessory or a mandatory component of the system.

Agree third party adapters will be available in the near future. Hopefully the same can be said for a third-party EVF.

Hopefully as the hype fades, we'll see some real information of how it works with and without the EVF using a range of Leica and non Leica M glass both old and new.

No...But you are asking in the wrong forum :D

Most of the folks here (me included) are seasoned photographers. We train ourselves to use rangefinders and manual focus because we enjoy the experience. And for most of us, the decision to be "converted" to Leica (or not) was made a long time ago...I'm young enough that this means giving up on the M8, but there are plenty of RFFer's that remember Leica in the M3/M4 days, and maybe a few whos memory goes back further.

The T is meant for a different audience, one that does not have so much knowledge in photography, is acquainted with the Apple user experience.etc. I won't pay anything for a camera that I need to look at the rear screen to adjust parameters, but to some others this may be precisely what they want.

So there's a negative correlation here: spending time on RFF makes you less likely to consider the T...
Spot on.

The T is the opposite of Fuji. It is a simple but very non-traditional design.

Exactly!

From what I've seen and read so far there has been zero mention of the usability of camera without the EVF. Which goes the question of whither the EVF is an accessory or a mandatory component of the system.

Agree third party adapters will be available in the near future. Hopefully the same can be said for a third-party EVF.

Hopefully as the hype fades, we'll see some real information of how it works with and without the EVF using a range of Leica and non Leica M glass both old and new.

Third party adapter may take a while to become available. The T m adapter is a smart adapter and the config menu has no prion for shoot w/o lens, so unless Leica provides the required info, the third party makers are going to have to reverse engineer things.

One of the first impressions reviewers (maybe Ming Thein) provide that info.

Gary

If it was any good, would they have to prominently display the Leica logo?

A totally menu driven (no indicators on the top dials) Point and Shoot "white box" camera. No thanks.

Back