Leica Unveils 3 New Wide-Angle M Lenses

On Steve Huff's website, it sounds like the new 35 also has 11 aperture blades as opposed to the current 8 blades. Not sure how true this is or not, but I guess there are some changes to the lenses.

Interesting. Just yesterday I was wondering if the 28mm ASPH Elmarit was going to get updated any time soon, because I'm in the market for one. I figured it wouldn't. Guess I was wrong.

I guess these are somehow translated from or closely related to the 1.7/28 on the Q which performs great in this combination and has a very pleasing bokeh from my experience. Since I am very happy also with my "old" 2/35 asph. I won't be looking at these new offerings.

I still can't figure out if this is just new cosmetics or an actual adjustment of the optical formula. SO FAR they look the same on the optical arrangement....

I guess I'll keep my horribly ancient and outdated old lenses. They still seem to make pictures that are distinguishable, in spite of their obsolescence. That includes the "old" version 28 2.8 Elmarit ASPH, and the old 35 Summicron ASPH. I still have the prehistoric 35mm 2.8 Summaron, so what do I know?

1. Big deal.
2. Great. A second hand current version Summicron 28 might be more affordable now. I couldn't want anything better than that.

At least the pricing is a bit more moderate. The 28f1.4 is topping out at $6000 and you could save at least $ 3000 by shooting at a higher iso!

I can't figure out what changes were made to the 28 Elmarit asph. Did Leica quantify what they mean by "better resolution" and “practically distortion free”?

Looks like a nice update. So the rumours based on an image with these lenses in it that was posted to the Leica site in 2015 turned out to be true after all... Interesting. I wonder if they did that on purpose.

Back