Leica X 113 and Olympus VF-1 problem

Fuchs

Well-known
Local time
8:42 PM
Trying to mount an Olympus VF-1 on my Leica X, it does not slide completely to the end of the hot shoe. Has anyone tried this and failed to mount it?

It won't work. The Olympus VF-2 is compatible with the X2 and X Vario, while the X113 uses the new EVF released with the Leica T. No Leica to my knowledge works with the Olympus VF-1.

I was going to back up Asiafish, and agree, but decided to check before I did.
From a quick search it would appear that the VF1 is actually an optical frame finder, so it "should" slide into the hot-shoe perfectly.
Andrew is correct in that the correct EVF for the X is the new Visoflex which also fits the Leica T.
Gary

The VF1 window and frameline is of a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 3:2. It was intended for micro-4/3 Olympus cameras.

I bought one for use on my Fujifilm X10, whose native format is also 4:3. It works great, optically, but like the OP's experience wouldn't slide all the way on to the X10 hot shoe. I ended up having to shave off a bit of thickness from the VF1 mount using a Dremel tool. There's some nonstandard thickness to the VF1. The problem is not the Leica.

~Joe

The VF1 window and frameline is of a 4:3 aspect ratio, not 3:2. It was intended for micro-4/3 Olympus cameras.

I bought one for use on my Fujifilm X10, whose native format is also 4:3. It works great, optically, but like the OP's experience wouldn't slide all the way on to the X10 hot shoe. I ended up having to shave off a bit of thickness from the VF1 mount using a Dremel tool. There's some nonstandard thickness to the VF1. The problem is not the Leica.

~Joe
I know the aspect ratio is 4:3, but I've found there's not a "big" difference for my style of RF or non SLR shooting.
And yes, I ended doing exactly the same filing to the finder shoe. Thank you for your reply, I was afraid the Leica had some hidden contact or feature that interferred with the VF slider.

It won't work. The Olympus VF-2 is compatible with the X2 and X Vario, while the X113 uses the new EVF released with the Leica T. No Leica to my knowledge works with the Olympus VF-1.

Asiafish, the Olympus VF-1 is a 4:3 35mm eq optical viewfinder, only the VF-2 to VF-4 are electronic finders

For the X type 113, you have to use the very expensive Leica Visoflex (020) which is made by Epson for Leica and not made by Olympus. The electronic connections are in the hot shoe and not below it like on the Oly made finders such as the EV-! et al.

To make the vf-1 fit in the hotshoe of my Panasonic GF-1, I had to lightly sand the base to make it thinner and slide in. As reported, it matches well with the FOV of the stealth Leica 20mm lens.

I wouldn't bother with the vf-1 finder imo. The finder is dim and isn't as clear compared to other offerings. If you want enjoyable experience with your type 113 I'd suggest another finder from voigtlander or Leica. Ideally the 36mm finder native to Leica

Alternatively is the visoflex. But by today's standards it's extremely slow , lack resolution and also isn't bright. I found the lag very frustrating. So much so that I abandoned the system because it wasn't fit to be used for its intended purpose which was for fast action street photography.

It's a shame though as it's compact setup and fantastic lens it could of been quite good for street if only they continued to develop it. But It obviously was the precursor to the Q.

Back