Leica X1, has anyone bought one yet?

Looks very interesting as an easy-carry companion for an M8. :) And 24mm is "perfect" IMO as a generally useful lens for an APS size sensor. I would want the 36mm finder... or maybe a 35mm finder would do... a round chrome CV finder? :D

DSCF3237.jpg

DSCF3174.jpg

The manual focus mode distance indicators could be better ...

dunk

Last edited:
I also ordered from the Leicashop on Friday... mine ships Monday. No sense in waiting for the US dealers when you can buy from Europe cheaper.

seen many photos of X1, but never before adrianzg's post realized it's so much of a Barnack, size and looks wise. very nice!

Wouldn't this be the ultimate camera if they used an active infrared rangefinding system like the one on the Hexar AF to get round the problems of contrast detect autofocus? It could be blazing fast in the right hands...

Tom

Wouldn't this be the ultimate camera if they used an active infrared rangefinding system like the one on the Hexar AF to get round the problems of contrast detect autofocus? It could be blazing fast in the right hands...

Tom

Absolutely agree.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1217631&postcount=84

Unfortunately, I guess IR rangefinding, being a hardware solution, is expensive compared to software-based contrast detection. Another example of how we're expected to accept inferior solutions with modern digital cameras.

Tom

or proper implementation of MF.

or proper implementation of MF.

that is where the x1 falls short for me and why i won't get one. i don't really get it when these cameras come out and a useable manual focus interface isn't part of the package? would it really cost that much more?

in my humble opinion the x1 could have been a complete coup, even at the price, with a functional scale focus interface. i can go years on end with a 35mm (focal length) and nothing else.

+1 on the Hexar IR-focus remark.

First thing I thought of when seeing the Manual Focus 'aid'.

If considering one at all, I would use it with a viewfinder on top, but knowing focus point 100% is impossible without looking at the rear screen.

Not much sense in scale focusing with the '1meter, 2meter, infinity' focusing scale.

Too bad, I'm having a Barnack episode (again) and the absence of a digital camera is still nagging in the back of my head as well... :) And never the twain shall meet, it seems...

in my humble opinion the x1 could have been a complete coup, even at the price, with a functional scale focus interface. i can go years on end with a 35mm (focal length) and nothing else.

I'm thinking they can still implement this in the future...or at least I hope they do.

It's a shame they didn't make the focusing superior against the GF-1, every review makes a bigger point of that than it's high ISO performance. If they had nailed the focusing I would be scraping around to get one myself.

For the price it needs to lead the class, have the best LCD, etc.

Back