Leica x1 lens coating issue?

pixelvandal

Established
Local time
10:38 AM
Wondering if anyone has encountered issues with the lens in the x1/2 models? I pulled mine out the other day and it appears as though a small.... Ring of coating separation as occurred on one of the inner elements. Doesn't appear to impact images, but it's concerning. It's probably 1mm thick and about 4mm round. Right in the centre. Very odd..... Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening?

Not had any Issues with my X1 or X2... Be it body or lens
Very Sorry to hear
Though I am sure Leica repair will do it 'right' ;)

im more concerned with 'cost' if they need to replace the entire lens it wouldn't be worth fixing in my opinion...as the cost would probably outweigh the purchase of another 2nd hand unit.

does Leica charge an inspection fee?

not visible in this light
29021665930_83f750cf88_c.jpg

but in daylight and in a little light box...
29230900061_5ac83439c7_c.jpg

29275700236_ec79ddcc1b_c.jpg

does that look like coating separation to you?

hmmm, a crack? maybe, I have never seen a crack that looks like that before though....
so strange. have emailed the pictures to camera clinic in australia who are the lisenced repairer of leica products here. see what they say. :)

Sorry to see this, to me it does look like separation.
Camera Clinic repaired my X1 when it had a flash firing all the time issue. The were awesome to deal with, I could not have been happier.
Hopefully this will turn out all OK.
Gary

still waiting to hear back from them, however upon asking another repairer, he says it could possibly be a oil deposit, caused from exposure to extreme heat. funny....all my cameras have been treated the same way for the last 15 years and ive never had this happen, so i assume they will say its my fault and make me pay..... which makes me wonder if its worth the repair.....

My money's on separation. Seen a lot of it over the years. That sure looks the look.

Sorry.

On the positive side, the lens will work great when light is not bad. Separation, such as what I think you have, mostly shows up as flares in your images, but not degradation of sharpness, abberations, etc. Just flare.

What causes separation like that? Aside from bad luck, its often environmental and/or a good whack. But, that's typical for the "old" lenses that used old cements. New lenses, such as the one I would expect to find in the X1, should be cemented with modern stuff. The modern cements rarely, rarely, fail. So we're back to bad luck.

Do let us know what you find out.

as soon as i hear from them ill report back. Re: environment and whacks....
Whilst in my ownership (i bought used a couple years back) it has been in typical australian climate, hot, semi-humid summers, and warm, less humid winters. the camera has never had a good whack. And when not in use, has always been stored inside a dry environment. with plenty of silica gel packs as insurance.
it went into storage about 6 months or so ago, and then came out looking like this. not sure if it had the beginnings before it went in as i didnt notice it....
bugger.

Don't despair too soon.
In the time I owned my delightful X1 it required two separate trips to be repaired. Both were sorted by Leica, one being done by Camera Clinic.
I can't speak highly enough of the service I received.
Gary

so in my haste i have misplaced the original lens cap, crap. what diameter is the original cap? i feel like its 46mm but cant remember for sure....

Back