Leica X1 questions

The x1 is gorgeous in it's simplicity. I used it exclusively for a year and love the little camera... Autofocus is dreadfully slow for me (even with 2.0), but very accurate. At the end of the day though, it takes such wonderful images.

For reference, my main camera is an M6 and my main digital now is an X-Pro 1.

Hi all!

Thanks again. I ordered one the other day to test - some sample photos looked promising....I will try and then decide.

Thanks for the input, it was enough to make me give it a try.

How long does it take to focus an M8/M8.2/M9?;) Faster or slower than the "pitiful" X1?

Well, that depends on the situation right? Manual focus, as I'm sure you are well aware of Dave, gives you a few options for focusing (RF patch, zone, scale, etc) without menu diving. I used the X1 for a year and loved it despite the AF. However, once the X100 came around, the X1 was superflous for me. To each his own.

The black X1 is a beautiful looking camera though...

Well, that depends on the situation right? Manual focus, as I'm sure you are well aware of Dave, gives you a few options for focusing (RF patch, zone, scale, etc) without menu diving. I used the X1 for a year and loved it despite the AF. However, once the X100 came around, the X1 was superflous for me. To each his own.

The black X1 is a beautiful looking camera though...

Agreed! It is all about individual preferences.:angel:

The reason I mentioned the focus time for M bodies is...I simply have never timed my fastest response with ANY lens! Not even sure how to do it. The X1 I have used in AF is definitely faster than my MF with the Summarit or the borrowed 35 Cron, and is much faster in daylight than low light. But the scale focus strategy is pretty cool to me also. Put on the VF...set the scale focus for 6-10' to infinity and there is "zero" focusing hunt lag time.

One thing that I find is really neat after last evening's Performing Arts event, is the blasted LCD can be turned off! Crazy screens everywhere in the dark.

Wish my D2H and D2X had that years ago. Even the D40 would have been much nicer to use.

You're now officially a "Leica Guy."

Ha, ha! You find your models where you find 'em!:D In my case, it is my wife or my grandkids. When they are unwilling, I borrow my son's crazy dog!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Aubie at Unicoi Springs April 2012 rff.jpg
    Aubie at Unicoi Springs April 2012 rff.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • Aubie 2 at Unicoi Springs April 2012 rff.jpg
    Aubie 2 at Unicoi Springs April 2012 rff.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Happy Easter rff.jpg
    Happy Easter rff.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
The last firmware for X1 was release in February or March 2012.

I have both silver and black X1 in hand. Apart from my preference for the black, the black had MUCH better (look, feel, grip) leatherette than the silver.

For me the X1 is still unique as it offers great IQ in rally small package - the size difference to X100 is noticeable.

Just one point - have a look at the Ricoh GXR. The 28/2.5 and 50/2.5 modules (both APS-C) compare very well to the performance of the X1 (the AF is probably a touch faster). The 50 is also a macro lens and has lovely booked. Not to forget is the APS-C module with M-mount which has no AA filter and the file quality is wonderful. So if you have some M (or ltm) glass around this could be an interesting option.

Concerning both X1 and GXR you may be interested to check out the webpage of Steve Huff - he has some interesting insights how these cameras work in real life environment (and even has some direct comparisons).

P.S. I would have bought the GXR already if Riccoh had release a 35/2.5 lens module as that is my preferred focal length. I found the X1 bit too pricey at the time.

Back