Leica X1 scale focusing (or not)

I believe you use the thumb wheel on the back to change the focus, and look at a distance scale on the LCD. Not a bad setup if you think about the "LCD-centric" interface this type of camera will have.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I said "I believe you use..." because I've never seen one myself. I'm just basing this off of information from those who have previewed one or from Leica's supplied info on the X1.

Last edited:
My point was that they likely set the camera up this way because it made the camera less complicated, and still allows the camera to be operated with a single hand, even when focusing the camera manually.

I don't know if it's time to consider this a flaw, as nobody has had a chance to review an X1 yet. Just because the setup is different from a Leica M body, doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically worse. If well implemented, the scale focus method of the X1 might suit the camera fairly well. Time will tell.

What, in your opinion, would be the advantages to a focus ring with a distance scale around the lens? What are the disadvantages to a distance scale on the LCD?

Last edited:
To me it's a design flaw. It should be possible to take pictures without having to use the LCD screen at all.

Vincent

Yes, that is certainly a well founded opinion. However, as I questioned earlier, what are the advantages to a focusing ring with a distance scale around the lens? How does such a feature aid in getting the desired image? How does a distance scale on an LCD impede this process?

A lens without a focusing ring would not have a depth of filed scale for zone focusing. Even if the DOF scale is on the LCD screen, those with old eyes will not be able to read it, especially under the sun. This is precisely the point that Vincent made---one should not have to depend on the LCD in order to take a picture.

You don't have to depend on the LCD in order to take a picture. It's autofocus and also has autoexposure. If you want full manual controls I suggest getting something other than a glorified point and shoot.

[FONT=&quot]Let’s take this a step further.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Personally, I wouldn’t mind having to set the manual focus distance via the LCD. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, once selecting the distance, the lens must move immediately to the selected distance and REMAIN in that position for all subsequent shots until the user resets the distance. Under no circumstances should the lens move into the pre-selected manual focus position only when the shutter button is half depressed. Also, if the camera is left on, but dormant and the camera goes into a sleep mode or standby mode then whatever action the user takes to re-awaken the device should result in the lens returning to the preselected manual focus distance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, there should be a single button activation to immediately return the camera to autofocus mode.[/FONT]

You don't have to depend on the LCD in order to take a picture. It's autofocus and also has autoexposure. If you want full manual controls I suggest getting something other than a glorified point and shoot.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have no intention to relinquish my M6. I'm just puzzled as to why manual focus couldn't be better implemented in such a camera.

Vincent

Last edited:
Your question may be a good one, but I must add that nobody has properly reviewed this camera yet, and nobody has reported on an example they purchased for personal use. So, we actually have no idea how exactly the manual focus has been implemented on the X1, how effective this implementation is, and consequently we don't have much of a foundation for criticism at this point (of course, other than the "flaw" of not having a focus ring/distance scale around the lens).

Tin said:
Even if the DOF scale is on the LCD screen, those with old eyes will not be able to read it, especially under the sun.

As stated above, nobody has reviewed this camera yet and reported on the manual focus capabilities, nor have they shown the LCD display of the distance scale and depth-of-field. So I'd have to expect your conclusion is solely based on using other digital cameras, and not this particular model.

Seems like the only valid flaw of the distance scale on the LCD is that bright light may make it hard to read. Still, we don't know if this will really have any impact on use, and we don't know enough to make claims about any other failings the X1 might have.

The thumbwheel focus isn't all that new. My folding Voigtlander Vitessa from the early 1960's had this as well as a split image in the viewfinder. There was a circular dial in the top plate that gave the focus distance.

Ah yes, the Voigtlander focus by dial feature. I'm sort of divided on this feature. Hate it passionately on the Prominent. Lukewarm with it on the Vito III. Find it to be sort of clunky on the Vitessa.

The one camera that I like that has it is the Baldamatic, which has the focusing wheel on the front of the camera where it can be turned EASILY (unlike the Voigtlander cameras) with your index finger.

If the autofocus works well, then using an auxiliary brightline finder is possibly workable. But for those who use zone focusing depending on DOF, the LCD method represents a substantial change shooting style.

Given Vincent's results, his style doesn't really need any change.

There is a little green light at the top of the back of the X1 that lets you know when it is in focus when not using the LCD. Obviously, this isn't used for very precise focusing, but at smaller apertures, this will work ok.

Back