Leica X1 still in the box

What was frustrating?

What was frustrating?

I did enjoy using the camera and may give it another try if they work out a few things that I felt made the camera frustrating to use ...

What were those things that made it frustrating? Anything else beside the slow AF? (I can see where only having one focal length would be frustrating.)

I think all this X1 debate is really fairly simple.

If you want a small camera with fast autofocus this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera with a zoom or choice of lenses this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera and are happy to put film in it this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera with a 3x2 aspect ratio, a 35mm field of view, are willing to work with zone and hyperfocal focus techniques, and require an image quality sufficient to sit along side work done with the best 35mm format digital cameras, what other camera is there for you?

Yes, improvements could be made to the implementation of manual focus that made it easier to work in this way, like depth of field hints and a more informative focus scale, but think of working this way with a Rollei 35, an XA, a GR1, a Canonet... It's always been a challenge, and look at that list. The 35mm lens alone puts the X1 ahead of most of those, if that is something you like.

Whether you personally want an X1 or not should be an easy question to answer!

Tom

I can't imagine buying something; taking it home; and not opening the box immediately.

If I ever did such a thing, I'd suspect that I didn't really want it to begin with.

But maybe that's just me.

Cheers,

R.

If you haven't opened it yet, there's likely a good reason :D.

When it comes to the M9 or X1, the most difficult decision is NOT to buy, assuming funding exists..... (i.e. don't have to forego a few essentials like eating....)

I think that your ability NOT to open the box, indicates that the X1 is NOT a MUST buy for yourself.

Return it and use the money for something that you really want :rolleyes:.

YMMV

These two! If you did not tear open the box immediately and then cancel plans to spend the next few hours trying it out, then you don't really want/need it. Simple, really.:angel:

Return ASAP!

I think all this X1 debate is really fairly simple.

If you want a small camera with fast autofocus this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera with a zoom or choice of lenses this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera and are happy to put film in it this is not a camera for you.

If you want a small camera with a 3x2 aspect ratio, a 35mm field of view, are willing to work with zone and hyperfocal focus techniques, and require an image quality sufficient to sit along side work done with the best 35mm format digital cameras, what other camera is there for you?

Yes, improvements could be made to the implementation of manual focus that made it easier to work in this way, like depth of field hints and a more informative focus scale, but think of working this way with a Rollei 35, an XA, a GR1, a Canonet... It's always been a challenge, and look at that list. The 35mm lens alone puts the X1 ahead of most of those, if that is something you like.

Whether you personally want an X1 or not should be an easy question to answer!

Tom

Spot On well Thought Out...:cool:
in fact it made me GIGGLE
I do WANT one
though my wallet says YOU can Buy more Film & a Scanner

and My HEART says:
YOU can Shoot Digital w/ a 35 , with Beautiful Hi iso's that Work
and SHOOT Film with 50's

Ah The Mind & its Games....

So come one, did you open the box? I have limited experience so far, but scale focused at f3.5, iso3200:

124933128.SLgbrRD0.L1010062.jpg

just a crazy experiment; I'd only ever really try to use the camera in these conditions for fun - I want it for hyperfocal and zone focus snaps when my other camera's just too big. Something tells me it's going to work fine. Once it has a "Thumbs Up" :)

Tom

Back