Leica X1

So it's a P&S, with a APSC CEMOS sensor. I am not particularly charmed by the image, from an industrial design perspective, it looks lame. Between APSC and Micro 4/3 I suppose a battle is brewing, but I'm happy with my G1 and my M lens adapter, so I will pass on this, it's probably priced higher than the G11, maybe that's an apple's/orange comparison. But that's what comes to mind as a competitor in that market space, until Samsung delivers I guess. I thought that it would have interchangeable lenses ? Looks fixed to me, ho hum. I hope the M9 isn't a let down.

I also think it is a bad design. Not appealing.
I hope it is just a pre-model or a very primitive design far from what they might have ready for us on the 9th...

/branki

It is the same mechanical chassis as M8 (sans RF top), so it could well be true.

It is the same mechanical chassis as M8 (sans RF top), so it could well be true.

If that's the case it would be a way for them to continue recouping the design and production investment they sunk into the M8. However, I'm not so sure I agree this is M8 based - the scale seems wrong.

I'd prefer black too - but the grip as shown does appear to be an attachment.

I'm much more concerned about VF options. Would it be too much to ask for a hotshoe-mounted OVF that has a simple focus confirmation light?

I could easily live with a fixed 35mm equivalent lens and an APS-C sensor that has decent low-light performance, real MF and RAW. I'm not so sure I'd be interested if it has only a back display for function - the idea of using a VF for composition and the back panel for everything else isn't too appealing. I highly doubt I'd use AF very much with something like this.

Make it so it shoots substantially like an M and we'll talk...

Its a silly point but the strap lugs look wrong,the camera wouldnt hang straight unless the lens is very heavy or the body very light.

Does not seem real or practical to me, especially stepping back to a smaller sensor requiring even more inaccurate frame lines and focal length computations. If it is real I do like the fact that the sensor is smaller but has 12mp. and I think a built in flash for emergencies is something I might use.

I have serious doubts about legitimacy, but we should know more in a week or so.

Oops, if it is a fixed lens then ..... never mind ;^)

Last edited:
What is that round thing that is kinda flush on top of the camera?
A turret flash that can shoot 360 degrees? :D

The D-lux series are much better looking. You might as well buy some cheap russian leica clone, tear out the insides and glue in a cheap point-n-shoot if you want an classic looking rangefinder point-n-shoot. You'll probably save about $2000.

The D-lux series are much better looking. You might as well buy some cheap russian leica clone, tear out the insides and glue in a cheap point-n-shoot if you want an classic looking rangefinder point-n-shoot. You'll probably save about $2000.

I want to see a youtube how-to for that ...

I could see a fancy LED approach to flash in sort of a semi-circle firing just those LEDs that need to in order to match the view of the lens attached.

I like the look and love the shutter speed dial a top it. The grip would be great if it also boosted the life of the battery. She is small and if I want to mount say a 180/2.8 on her (360/2.8!!!) I would prefer the grip for stability. Taking it off for times I use say a 13mm on her. I like the little grip on my GRD, it helps me feel I'm holding her firmly.

B2 (;->

Back