Leicaphila - Tamarkin Camera Article

I enjoyed the article very much. I have done business with Dan several times, and he's an awesome guy. You can sense his excitement for Leica from a mile away!

ah yes, the common Leica legend marketing myth

“This was the world’s first 35mm camera that went into production,” Tamarkin said."

Not true. The first commercially sold 24x36 35mm still camera was the American made Simplex which sold over the counter in 1914- proudly designed and made in New York City.
11 years before Leicas were sold to the public!

Stephen

“This was the world’s first 35mm camera that went into production,” Tamarkin said."

Not true. The first commercially sold 24x36 35mm still camera was the American made Simplex which sold over the counter in 1914- proudly designed and made in New York City.

Stephen

Wasn't there a "Smith" camera from 1912 that already took 24x36 pictures?

Wasn't there a "Smith" camera from 1912 that already took 24x36 pictures?

in prototype only,
never commercially sold

There were lots of 35mm prototypes, and probably more yet to be discovered.

Personally the only early 35mm cameras that interest me are the ones that made
it to the marketplace

I enjoyed the article very much. I have done business with Dan several times, and he's an awesome guy. You can sense his excitement for Leica from a mile away!

+1

I am in Chicago for a paid shoot and went by the shop to pickup a spare M240 battery, ended up hanging out for nearly two hours, we had a blast talking all things Leica.

Stephen

But did they have an enlarger for it? I thought Leica invented those for use with 35mm....another myth?
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Early_Leitz_Enlargers

Dans a great guy, I usually spend to much time and to much money every time I stop in LoL. His prices are as good and in some cases better than most to but it's the service that is what will keep me buying there.

Stephen

Actually there was a considerable number of 35 mm cameras from 1905 onwards, Smith, and certainly Leica were rather late to the party. The first is generally considered to be the Goerz from Berlin. However, Leica was the first to build the cameras in large series, from 1923.

http://corsopolaris.net/supercameras/early/early_135.html

Back