Lens Flare

Jodorowsky

Well-known
Local time
6:10 PM
Ok, not strictly an M8 problem, but I'm using an M8.....

I've noticed quite a bit of lens flare with my 35mm Summicron (IV) when taking pictures in some sunlight conditions. I took it out to do some low light test shots tonight, and there's some bad flare from a street light. I'm not using the correct hood for the lens (I'm using a 12538 M2/50), and I'm considering spending some money on the 'correct' hood- if needs be.

Question- is the flare due to the hood, or is it just what I should expect from shooting beneath a street light?

Can a moderator move me to a more appropriate place, please? This is embarrassing. I know it's not an M8 problem. Honest.

Ok, not strictly an M8 problem, but I'm using an M8.....

I've noticed quite a bit of lens flare with my 35mm Summicron (IV) when taking pictures in some sunlight conditions. I took it out to do some low light test shots tonight, and there's some bad flare from a street light. I'm not using the correct hood for the lens (I'm using a 12538 M2/50), and I'm considering spending some money on the 'correct' hood- if needs be.

Question- is the flare due to the hood, or is it just what I should expect from shooting beneath a street light?

Hi, my (IV) is a little sensitive to spotlights (flare) also. I have Brian Bower's book and he mentions it too.

I use the "correct" rectangular hood, so I don't think you're going to see a huge improvement by buying one. If you do though, be careful not to give in to temptation and grab the lens by the hood when you're removing it from the camera. Eventually that will break the glue bond that holds the front part of the lens to the back part.

Thanks, Ben. Well, I just ordered the rectangular hood, so I'll see if there's any improvement, at least. I'll just stop shooting into bright lights!

35mm Summicron IV / flare ...

35mm Summicron IV / flare ...

... like this ? (Neopan400, Leitz UVa filter, rectangular hood):

100846627.jpg

Back