Leonard Nimoy - Photographer

Jocko

Off With The Pixies
Local time
8:29 PM
I just stumbled across this by accident and thought other members might also find it intriguing: Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy retired from acting some years ago to concentrate on his rather distinctive black and white photography - this is his site: http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/index.htm

Cheers, Ian

Last edited:
Interesting find there.....not really my cup of tea but kinda surreal in a way. The vulcans never really striked me as being the photographic type:)

I really like this self portrait:

http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/images/2/selfp/Zz236-25.JPG

and I'm intrigued by his approach to nudes, especially the Full Body series. Nimoy seems very aware of the traditions of both photographic and painted nudes (one of the full body series seems to owe a lot to Matisse and his dancers) and he's bringing a slightly subversive take on these traditions in his work. I always admire that.

I also like the way he comes across as confident in his own vision of a very stripped down (sorry!) and spare aesthetic. The hand shots benefit most - very elegant.

alot of celebs get involved with photog because they have access to other celebs. The most notable convert was the famed Los Angeles Distirct Attorney (forget his name) in charge of the OJ Simpson case debacle. His tool of choice is the blad' panoramic camera. I understand he has done some work in Cuba and around LA.

35mmdelux said:
alot of celebs get involved with photog because they have access to other celebs. The most notable convert was the famed Los Angeles Distirct Attorney (forget his name) in charge of the OJ Simpson case debacle. His tool of choice is the blad' panoramic camera. I understand he has done some work in Cuba and around LA.

Actually, Jeff Bridges is a pretty good photographer. He has a wonderful, playful website and shoots exclusively with a Widelux. He primarily documents the films he works on.

www.jeffbridges.com

Firstly, I'm sorry to have brought this topic up again - computer trouble kept me off-line for several weeks and I missed the earlier discussion.

I'm not especially wild about Nimoy's work, but I think Donald's reference to Matisse provides a key to what makes it interesting. Nimoy does seem genuinely aware of wider traditions in art and photography - for example, I find some of the Shekinah pictures recall 19th century psychic photography. He has plainly thought about his art and the effects he hopes to achieve. I do not think that that he is wholly successful, but I'm oddly reminded of the music of William Shatner, in its "failure" nearer to real genius than vastly more accomplished works. One may like his pictures or one may not, but they seem to the honet work of a serious photographer with a vision of his own.

Cheers, Ian

Last edited:
Thanks , I jus t checked out his works...interesting. I'm 43 also, looking forward and back, stuck in the middle of life.....I hope
JB

Back