Less common uses of Xpan/TX-1/2

R

Roger

I've noticed that the Xpan gallery (a great and very welcome idea) doesn't have many "standard" non-panoramic shots, and very few panoramas in portrait mode.

The portrait mode panorama is a fascinating format, and I suggest you keep an eye open for tall, narrow buildings, people and images! (Just be prepared for people to say they like--or hate--the unusual cropping. Most people don't understand that this cropping comes with the camera...)

I like my TX-1 so much that I often find myself reaching for it when the image is not best taken in panoramic format. Normally, though, I prefer something slightly wider--say a Voigtlander Color Skopar 35/2.5 on my Bessa R, or the 21/4 on my Bessa L.

If you try the vertical panorama, do be careful to get your verticals really vertical, i.e., parallel with the edge of the frame. If you have to correct splayed verticals in PhotoShop or PSP, the image becomes even longer and thinner, and this looks less good than it does in landscape mode.

Here's one website of an X-Pan user who does a lot of portraits in vertical mode, as far as I remember.

http://www.kakasite.com

I pulled the URL out of Photozone.de forum and it was posted 16 Dec 2002. I could not open the website just then so it might have been deleted. I hope not because it has lots of excellent X-Pan shots.

Thanks for the reference. He seems to be shooting mostly horizontal these days. I flipped through over 150 of his more recent shots (some very good ones, and with very creative use of the wide format) but only saw a couple of verticals. I'll bookmark it and visit again. Worth multiple visits if you like to see what can be done with an Xpan, and I certainly do!

I do lots of vertical shots, it helps to underline the depth of the image. And lots of viewers are fascinated by this format.

Doug said:
Interesting and unusual, RJ... A barge on the lake?

It is a old barge in the Hudson River. There are about three of them in this area that were left in the shallows to decay. Took this past winter when you can walk out on ice.

RJ

Back