Let’s see some of the earliest photos you’ve made —

This might be from the first roll of 35mm Ektachrome-X that I shot and was probably around 1966 in Cherokee NC. I had to have shot it with a newly acquired Minolta SRT-101.

Attachments

• F42B762D-85DD-484B-A9AD-4F75D988CDB4.jpeg
    F42B762D-85DD-484B-A9AD-4F75D988CDB4.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 14
gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn

Utrecht, 1973

Erik.

50712177112_5ff53508a3_b.jpg

1958 and my earliest photos that look at all decent. Boy Scout box camera which takes 120 film in a 2/1/4 X 1/ 1/58 format. Sure hard to get anything sharp when you're young and don't know how to hold a camera steady. Two are from a hike onto the Blue Mountain in Eastern Pennsylvania. The group gathering to look at a map include my father. He would die that August. The shot at a council Camporee shows our troop. Not sure who took picture using my camera but that is yours truly on the right end, Eagle Scout at age thirteen and Senior patrol leader.1958 patrol hike map.jpg1958 patrol hike Eagle patrol.jpg1958 camporee Troop 61.jpg

This my first 'favourite picture' i ever took - i was fascinated when i saw this slide back then - i went on to show it to all my friends. Summer 1992 (or thereabouts), i was 15 y.o and on holidays with my parents. I took my Praktica and went for a walk to the beach. Unfortunately i don't have any good scans of it and the slide is in Greece. This is a scan i made from a print many many years ago.

View attachment 4820784
Beautiful

This is one of my last slides i took - Istanbul in 2004. I had a break from photography for a few years after that and started again with b&w a few years later when i moved abroad. I am not sure what slide i used for this one (maybe Velvia?) - again this is a low res scan of a print. Camera is the usual suspect - the EOS-5.

Untitled1.jpg

About 1979 or 80 I was asked by my friend Angie to take some headshots for her to use as she was trying to launch her acting career. I had gotten out of photography by then and had sold most of my gear except a few basic pieces. Having no studio available, we went to my parents' house and threw a sheet on the back wall and used whatever lights were available. This would have been a reject print due to the overly abrupt burn behind her head.

She landed the job of Robocop's wife in the cult classic film of the same name.

Angie Bolling by Brusby, on Flickr

About 1979 or 80 I was asked by my friend Angie to take some headshots for her to use as she was trying to launch her acting career. I had gotten out of photography by then and had sold most of my gear except a few basic pieces. Having no studio available, we went to my parents' house and threw a sheet on the back wall and used whatever lights were available. This would have been a reject print due to the overly abrupt burn behind her head.

Very nice! Classic.

The lighting on her face and hair is magnificent.

I came to cameras in a somewhat unusual way. I started out with Zeiss microscopes from the 20s and 30s. One day I bought a Contaflex and started shooting rolls of film, developing them at the drugstore, and researching all this on the net. The first place I landed on was a forum dedicated to the then new Zeiss Ikon rangefinder system. The first person I met was Brian. Raid also and probably at least a handful of you others too. I learned about this place too. The only forum from my early days I stuck with. Smart interesting folks here and all. :)

First pic on my Flickr back in 2010...Contaflex with the pancake on Gold 200...hey I was learning!

Chevelle by Jeff Carpenter, on Flickr

An excellent historical photo! Would you be able to go back to that spot and recreate the photo, maybe have your wife make a photo of you there today?

Hopefully it’s not all filled with high-rise buildings.
It might be a bit of a challenge - the municipal library and Council chambers now stand where I was standing and the view is blocked by high rise apartment towers!

Back